or Connect

Posts by sarahmsquared

My son turned three in May and has similar language delays (at his third birthday he was determined to be on about an 18 month old level). He does not have many indicators for autism, so that's not a current concern but I completely understand your situation, and I know how frustrating it is. Sometimes it can be very difficult for me to overhear full, coherent conversations between other parents and their children of the same age. We have also tried an assortment of...
With that list I would look right at Fort Mill, SC. It's right across the border from Charlotte, NC so there's a lot within 20 minutes of you, but it's still a small town. SC has lower taxes too. I'm not familiar with SC homeschooling laws but I don't think they're unreasonable. Asheville is a nice, crunchy town that probably would fit a lot of your needs too but I think the job market and cost of living are both more challenging there. It would be harder to get a job...
I agree that camping is the most fun with friends.     If we're camping at the beach (which we love), we bring sand castle supplies, a bucket and boogie boards.  For short trips we don't pack anything else.  On our week long trips we also bring bicycles and one other toy.  One year while my youngest still napped, I brought part of our wooden train set.  This year I brought the bristle blocks.  I usually go for something that is pretty simple to use, store, clean,...
We live in East Charlotte.  I live near the university area, which I like a lot.  It's cheaper, and still easy to get to pretty much anywhere in Charlotte I want to go within a reasonable driving time.  I don't personally want to live in Fort Mill, but I've heard very nice things about Baxter Village.  Fort Mill Public Schools has a good reputation overall.  Charlotte Mecklenburg does not really.  If you decide to live within Mecklenburg county, choose your homeschool...
My almost three year old and I have a problem.  Lately he's been having huge, massive, scream so long he has no idea why he's even mad fits. Twice he has passed out from exhaustion which ruins bedtime.  These are usually over things that I can't change. For example, once his banana broke into two pieces while he peeled it. One was because he wanted my mom to unbuckle his carseat -- but we had just dropped her off and she wasn't even with us.   I'm pretty good at heading...
We allow our almost three year old to play on "his" ipod (technically me) and our iphones.  I like the Monkey Preschool Lunch app and he is really into trains so we have a few generic train apps.  It's a relief for me that we have something that's trains that isn't Thomas, which is so hard to avoid.  We did notice a little while back that he was getting too attached, so now we limit it to long car rides or bad weather days.  He watches a little tv most days too, so...
Pipe cleaners have served me well.  You can get beads to stick on them, or those plastic grid sheets and stick the pipe cleaners through the little holes.  Other lacing activities are fun too.   http://createstudio.blogspot.com/2011/03/color-treasure-hunt.html We haven't done this one yet, but it's on our to-do list for the summer. 
Look into Blaine, TN!  It's right outside of Knoxville.  Unfortunately, I can't answer your questions because we now live in Charlotte, NC but all of my extended family is from there.  We visit several times a year and we love it. 
We absolutely love Ocracoke Island, especially for camping (in a camper -- the mosquitoes are fierce)!  However, if you go up an island to Hatteras you can find property that right on the beach to rent and that seems to work out better for families.  Both islands are laid back and not overrun with traditional tourist town attractions.  Just simple, awesome family vacation time.    Have fun!
When my oldest turned two we got him four gifts. Something to wear -- socks Something to read -- an Eric Carle book Something he wants -- a soccer ball Something he needs -- a potty seat We use the poem for all birthdays.