or Connect

Posts by A-time-to-live

What'snextmom so sorry to hear about your son's experience. Glad there was a good resolution. DD is going to be 4 in a week! We have been reading The Wizard of Oz in anticipation of going to see the ballet this afternoon. It's been fun sharing it with her. She is still into writing (with spelling mostly dictated) and is very slowly beginning to show a very emerging interest in sounding out words on her own. I'm hoping she doesn't take off with this at least until the fall...
Tigerle, so glad to hear that the newest member of your family has arrived and is doing well!   DD(3.5) has discovered art and writing.  The writing started when she wanted to make a list of foods we were going to eat for Thanksgiving.  She asked us how to spell everything but was able to write all of the letters.  We had no idea that she could write anything other than her name.  She is still not interested in learning to read but remembers the spelling of some of...
Thanks Miranda! She does report liking the lion game and liking the sandbox. And she is constantly telling me about how much she likes her school - even making up songs about how it's the best school ever. Seeing her pacing in the sandbox alone and talking to herself for such an extended amount of time just took me by surprise. When she told me she was playing in the sandbox I had imagined her digging at least. :-)
No - it's not good socialization which is why I am concerned. I think maybe I didn't give enough info? I'm not wondering if this is a gifted behavior but posting here because of the difference in her development because she is advanced verbally and cognitively. And yes I do know that she is too young to be identified as gifted. Her play is very complex and she has a very active imagination. And with some other children she will engage in prolonged complex dramatic play. So...
Just seeking reassurance or advice.  DD(3.5 years) has been attending a multi-age play-based preschool.  I believe she has a crush on a 5 year old boy.  She talks about him frequently and makes up stories about how he is a prince and she's a princess and they dance together and get married....  Problem is - apparently he likes to pretend to be a lion.  She has been telling me that she has to stay in the sandbox the whole time that she is outside in order to be safe from...
Thanks for your thoughts/experiences!  I did end up saying something to one of the lead teachers this morning and she was responsive.  She indicated that yes - that probably happened and they would definitely try to discourage it if they notice.  When I picked DD up the same teacher told me they had a morning meeting and discussed rules - including "everyone gets to play."  DD told me that a boy wouldn't let her on some playground equipment so she asked a teacher for...
First day of preK for my 3 year old today and I could use some advice. It's a multiage play based preK. They do separate by age for a short 'academic' group though. Well, they haven't started breaking into small groups yet but my DD came home and the first thing she told me was that she mostly liked school but that she really wanted to play with some boys and they wouldn't let het because she wasn't a tiger. She thought they didn't want to let her pretend she was a tiger...
I personally would register for both a travel system stroller and an umbrella stroller but not purchase either if I didn't receive them. You can always return the gifts if you find them unnecessary and use the money for something more useful. But the thing is - different babies respond better to different things and you won't really know what's going to work best until you get to know your baby. My first woke up and would not go back to sleep if I moved her at all. So the...
Didn't read all of the posts so I apologize if I'm repeating something already said.  Don't forget that one of the main points of AP is balance.  If you don't take care of yourself you won't be able to take care of your baby.  If a jumperoo or busy center gives you 15 minutes of mommy time so that you can have better quality time with your child afterwards then I don't see how there's anything anti-AP about it.
Mostly just subbing b/c I have almost the same situation. I put DD(3) in front of the tv while I lie with the baby for an hour in the morning. In the afternoon DD(3) does have 45 minutes of quiet time but the baby isn't always ready to nap at the same time. And sometimes DD won't stay in her room. And even when she does it's never quite long enough.