or Connect

Posts by seawitch

Yeah... I think it would be a deal-breaker for him if he had to make do with a slower connection. It's funny, in Hungary, a village that's like a thousand years old and has like 100 residents has cable access no problem (I'm talking about an actual place - the EU has like a 98% cable access rate or a goal of one anyway, I'm not sure what the actual stats are right now) but here you go a few miles outside the town center and you're out of luck... I don't get it, really!
Really? That's exciting. We're NY newbies (well, we've both lived there before, but pre-kids). We're looking into the Corning area right now. Whereabouts are you guys located?
I'm in a similar situation. My kids love their preschool - I hate it. It's the lesser of two evils for us at the moment - we've been staying at my mom's house for the better part of the last year and they're away from all their toys, they share a very plain room that we can't decorate, there's no yard, we don't get to the park too often because it was hot here in FL... etc. It was less than ideal. The other guest room we're staying in, DH is always in playing video...
DH needs easy access because he has appointments at the hospital - they can be as frequent as several times per week. Or he can go a long time without them - in which case we'd be perfectly content to hole up and hibernate all winter long. (That's a sore point for me - if we didn't have that to consider we would be looking at a completely different area to live in - in the far north part of NY instead of in the Southern Tier, but hey, that's where the hospital is...) We...
We are currently house-hunting. We've pretty much picked an area - we might not move there if we end up hating it, but chances are good that we're going to end up in it. So here's the issue... The area is a smaller town (though for some of you I guess it'd be huge) of about 4000 people. It's an older area so the lots are pretty small - on average the nicer ones are about 1/4 acre. Some are up to 1/2 and a few are a whole acre. If we stayed within the village limits...
Well, all the "city amenities" are in Corning, as far as I can figure, which is Mapquested to be around 20-25 mins away. That's for the programs we've looked into, anyway. (Ballet, the homeschooler's art programs, the bigger library, etc.) Bath appears to be, well, a little bit dead, minus the VA. Still not sure whether we want to live in Bath and go to Corning once or twice a week or live in Corning and commute to the VA once or twice a week. Eh, it's a toss-up I...
This might be a no-brainer to some of you, but I'm stumped. We're moving from here shortly and heading off to... well, destination unknown, really. We have a vague idea and know we'll be in NY state but we're not certain what town we'll be in. We'll probably be doing an extended stay hotel until we find a house (we have several that look promising) and then depending on how long the closing process is, we'll either just be staying in the hotel or we can go stay with a...
Me too.
Oh, and I called the assessor and utility company in the area and man were they helpful! The utility lady took like half an hour to talk to me and went through like a dozen houses that were listed for sale on the MLS and told me which ones were well-insulated and what their utilities had looked like for the past few years. OMG seriously, how nice of her?! We figured out we have to buy within the village border (whatever that is) instead of the town border because the...
Thanks - right now we've pretty much settled on the Bath/Corning area but if it doesn't pan out it's nice to have some backups. The houses there are all a similar price range, so we probably wouldn't have to worry about a mortgage. Yay. Now we just have to see if DH's throat mass is cancer, if his brain lesion is actively hemmorhaging or not, what sort of tissue has grown on his chest (they said it was unexplained thickening at his last MRI, hopefully it's just the...