or Connect

Posts by seawitch

Oh, thanks. That helps. I think in the case of "omg we need this expense right now" we would be fine with putting it on a card. We don't carry debt otherwise but when we had to make oh-no purchases we did fine with paying them off after the fact. We have a pretty decent amount of credit we can use - $20,000 line of credit. And yes, we would want a small mortgage. We would only be looking at $100K max. I think we would be qualified to take out considerably more...
lol I've never thought to call it that, but I guess that's what it is. I had it really bad as a teenager and even now I sometimes get it for a few weeks and then it goes away. I don't get it on my face really, so I don't know what the deal is with it... So, I'm no help, unfortunately... I'll be watching to see if anyone has any wisdom to share about it though.
I would like to ask why you think that lotion is an important part of hygiene... I'm not judging, I'm genuinely curious. I've never heard that before. I don't use lotion and I've never used lotion on the kids. It didn't seem necessary. My husband had really bad skin issues (dry, scaly) and spent a fortune on body lotions. Then we ran out and he tried some of my coconut oil on my suggestion and it worked better for him than the expensive lotions. I use coconut oil...
Hmm. The last time I used shampoo was... maybe April? Since then I've only used the baking soda and vinegar umm... maybe twice? Or three times? I also did no-poo before, for about six months to a year at a go... never used baking soda or vinegar. Every once in a while I'll put a little oil on the ends, but even that's pretty rare, that's only if I want to go out and style it. It's also pretty long - below shoulder blades for me now, but I'm trying to grow it out...
Here's my two cents... take it for what it's worth, it might not apply to you, but I think you need a vacation. Go to Disney World, if you want, and it's doable. (There are a lot of threads that talk about how you can take frugal Disney vacations - there's whole forums dedicated to it. PM me if you want.) Don't go into huge debt to do so but splurge a little. Make some great memories. Then go back to being frugal. I think one or two bigger splurges go further FOR ME...
My grandparents had radiators in their house and they were just fine - although they were only in the two rooms (they weren't bedrooms, really - there were two rooms, a hallway in between them, and a kitchen and bathroom off the hallway). The doors had to be closed to the hallway, so it would be freezing in the hallway. The bathroom also had a small heater and I don't remember about the kitchen... I'm assuming the oven kept it rather warm when it was in use, otherwise it...
I'm with jilly on this one. Usually I'm all about the natural and don't even keep chemicals in the house, but every once in a while I think "the big guns" have their place. I hate to make the comparison, but like they always say, natural birth is always the ideal but sometimes a section is necessary, and how awesome that medical knowledge makes it so that mom and baby can most often survive it. But you don't want to rely on it too much. Conventional medication has its...
You're from Kansas? You automatically have my respect. Both times I've been in Kansas (driving through) we were dodging tornadoes, quite literally, so I'm amazed anyone has the guts to live there, lol. Maine is nice. I've been there before when visiting a college and even back then I was shocked at how much further money went than it did in CT (where I was from). We haven't really looked into it much but might. It's a little further north than we'd like. We're also...
I think.... I don't want to be starting a fight here, but I think "And don't take money personally. Everyone chooses their own approach." sums up the issue here quite nicely. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you were trying to say, but maybe people who have more money CAN choose to have various approaches. But people who just don't have the money, at all, are NOT making choices - there's no choice to make. It's not a matter, sometimes, of HOW to spend your disposable...
My husband and I have never been well-off as adults due to health issues and through choosing family over career. (Let's just leave it at that.) I grew up with a set of people who, for the most part, are now very well off, generally speaking. There's a definite disconnect there and a lot of my previous peers have dropped me because, well, I don't know. People DO tend to hang out with people who have similar money situations, but that's made things hard for me. I didn't...