or Connect

Posts by seawitch

I don't trust having savings. There, I said it. Every time that we scrimped and saved and got a little breathing room, we had some issue or other which made savings go *poof*. The ironic thing is that had we not had those savings, we wouldn't have had the debts, either. For example... We had a car before that wiped out almost our entire savings - and while we had savings we kept feediing into the car because we thought it was worth it. It was only when we ran out of...
We are considering moving to NY as well and I was advised to look into its laws as well. So I'll be watching this thread with hopes that someone will give some great info. What I've found online so far are basically, well, I think as long as you keep good records, teach all the important subjects, and allow the kids to take some tests annually in the school district, you'll be fine... That kind of rules out unschooling and I really don't like the idea of the kids needing...
We're going to be moving soon, don't know where yet, but it would be great if we could buy a property near others of like mind. We have some challenges in that my husband is disabled and, shall we say, GRUMPY. He is home all the time but does not help with anything in or out of the house. I would love to have other hands to share work with. It probably would work best if we all had our own very defined living spaces (i.e. separate houses even if on the same...
Uhhhh my favorite book of all time, I think. We've had some ROUGH nights with two bad sleepers. I could tell so many stories but I'd rather not re-live the misery. My husband and I both swear horribly and think nothing of it. It's not like we're sociopaths or that we don't love one another just because our "family speech code" includes bad words. We're perfectly wholesome otherwise. (The music we listen to has swears in it as well quite often - as long as the music...
Well *that* looks like fun.... =/
(And the health insurance is the supplement for the three of us - the kids are not added on yet so for me it's $25 a month, it will be higher once/if the kids qualify as well.) Theoretically it could go down to 0 a month and no supplement but then we would have co-pays and with the supplement there isn't any co-pay...
Yeah, I want a payment from between 300 and 600 a month. If we have 165,000 to put on a house, and we get a house at about 250K maybe... then it should equal out to around there? Our credit is about average... even though we don't have a balance we have always used cards but this past year we had a few late payments unfortunately due to moving etc. (We didn't get the bills on time, etc., not that we couldn't afford them.) We're trying to get a loan through the VA,...
Well, here is currently what our expenses looked like in our previous COL... the second column is what I'm estimating them to be in the new COL area... (OK that didn't come out formatted at ALL... sorry) Car Fund $350.00 $350.00 Geico $80.00 $300.00 (High insurance in NY?) AAA $6.00 $6.00 Gas $150.00 $150.00 Health Ins. $27.00 $70.00 Food $400.00 $600.00 Preschool $275.00 (None) Phones $115.00 $115.00 (EW.) Home Ins. $100.00 $250.00 Taxes ...
I have been all over the place with this. My mom would always ask what the kids wanted, but when I took the bait and actually gave her a list of toy lists that I thought the kids would like (and would fit into our home) she got offended... I wasn't trying to milk her for gifts but she purposely refused to buy off of any list I gave her... Now she just gives a lot less stuff which is fine with me cos there's really nothing the kids want or need at this point. Yeah, we're...
We spent about $100 for both of the kids. We have 2 kids, both almost the same age, and a lot of their interests overlap, so for some things we bought two of the same thing, and then they have some shared presents. I spent more money than usual on the food this year. Not feeling up to baking or anything since I don't have a kitchen of my own so I bought some marzipans, petit fours, etc. Also spent next to nothing on decorations, and we don't have our box of winter...