or Connect

Posts by seawitch

Well, the specifics of our last home... We bought it three years ago at 219K. We spent a lot of money into it. We thought we'd be there a LONG time... We replaced the roof and got all new hardwood downstairs, new paint all over, new carpet upstairs, finished the basement, did yardwork... Then we ended up selling at 205K, minus 5000 of stuff we had to fix for them, minus realtor's fees... So we ended up getting like 180K at the end. And moving costs as well, and we had...
Is that pre-tax, though? See, here's what makes our situation less than typical... We bring in about 4000 a month right now but none of that is taxable. We also don't have health insurance costs (well, OK, $24 a month which will rise to $75 a month when the kids are added on), and depending on the final nature of our move we will be paying only 65% of the property taxes (or if we get *really* lucky, no property taxes at all) in an area where that figures heavily into the...
We're moving from one part of the country (low-COL) to another (high-COL). We have previously not had a mortgage before but considering how much money we lost on selling our home, combined with the higher costs where we're moving to, we're going to need to take on a mortgage to get even a comparable house. Boo. We have never had to think about mortgages before so I'm at a loss as to where to start. The amount of money people spend on interest baffles and saddens me. ...
I PM-d you!
So, we put up our house for sale at the start of the summer while we went to go stay with my mom in another state. A couple of days ago we got a phone call from our real estate agent that the house had an offer; we signed a contract and we have to basically get our stuff out of there by the end of December. We have most of our stuff kind of heaped into the garage there and need it re-packed (we just kind of threw things into boxes without padding, etc. - total rush...
I've been planning homeschooling a long time - since before the kids were born, actually. Well, it turns out that one of the kids seems perfectly suited to it. And the other one seems totally suited to out-of-home schooling. When my DD is alone with me she is calm, quiet, happy, focused, eager to learn. When her brother is home, the whole dynamic of the house is different. I can't picture doing any homescholing with him. He loves going to preschool. DD likes it...
We are a family of four plus a cat. In the past year we've gone from a 3 bedroom, 2100 sq foot house with a yard to a roughly 300 square foot suite in my mother's house. It includes two smaller bed rooms, a hall area, and a half bathroom. We use my mom's laundry room and kitchen in other parts of the house, but those are definitely her spaces and not ours. We left all our stuff in the house until we managed to sell it (it's still on sale; no buyers). We went to the...
Pickled corn salad and butter-fried potatoes.
I haven't really put too much work into looking at curriculums so far - I'm very overwhelmed. I know I want to do Singapore maths and I'm also going to be doing some sort of packaged science - not sure which, though. (Any suggestions?) But what I'm concerned about more is the rest of the bulk. I want to basically focus on world cultures... do units that are based on different regions of the world, their stories, art, myths, foods, histories, etc. I have another year...
If my DH wasn't essentially housebound, I would be 99% sure that we were married to the same person.