or Connect

Posts by Chaika

Sounds like a tough situation.  It sounds like she is not treating your parents with respect.  If I were the parents, I would try to sit her down for a conversation about what needs to happen in order for her to continue living there (i.e. you must pay X amount of money per month, you must clean up after yourself, etc) and if she doesn't want to comply, she should live elsewhere.  And yes, that will probably drive her closer to her not-so-great boyfriend, but I'm...
This is an interesting discussion.  I understand, practically, why a parent would want their kid to have a plan going into college, but I think some 18 year olds may not be at that point yet.  A lot of people are still figuring out who they are at 18, and a good liberal arts education can give kids the opportunity to learn about several things before choosing something to focus on.    My parents pushed us to go to college.  Both of them had Associate degrees but they...
Thanks everyone for the replies.  We are making progress, but I guess it is just a "one step at a time" thing.  Today he ran over to the potty and peed *through* his underwear  
I don't like singing.  I used to like it, was even in chorus/choir through my first year of college, but then I went to theater school and realized I wasn't very good at it.  Since then, I just get frustrated when I hear my own singing voice.  It's a bit irrational because my son loves to hear me sing and obviously isn't judging my voice, but I still don't like it.  So I sing one song to him at bedtime, then hum for a while (I don't mind humming).  The other day I was...
jbaxter, did the shorts work when you took them places outside of the house too? 
Yes, newmamalizzy, I think you're right about the underwear/independence thing.  He hasn't figured out how to pull them down/take them off by himself, so it adds an extra step where he has to come find me for help.
Do you like hummus?  You can make it fairly cheaply at home.    This red beans and rice recipe is one of my favorites, if you have a crock pot, it makes a lot and very filling (especially if you use brown rice).  I omit the jalapeno and just use cajun seasoning.  http://veganeatsandtreats.blogspot.com/2009/02/red-beans-rice-key-lime-pie-yum.html    We eat a lot of kasha (buckwheat).  It's great cooked with beans and/or veggies.  We get it in bulk at...
Hi everyone, I haven't been on here in a while but have an issue I'm wondering if anyone can help with.  My son will turn 2 next month.  For the past month or so, he has gotten really good at using the potty at home.  Sometimes he uses a potty chair, and sometimes he requests that I help him sit on the regular toilet (which he seems to find more fun).  We still put him in a cloth diaper at night but it is often dry in the morning.  During the day, when we're home I just...
Hi ladies.  I started a new part-time job this week, I like it a lot and there is onsite, super-cheap child care.  So that's the good news.  The bad news?  Poor Anton has developed really intense separation anxiety The weird thing is he doesn't cry when I leave, but at some point he will just start crying and basically be inconsolable.  I feel guilty not only because he is upset, but also there are usually two staff people there and several kids, and basically one staff...
Thinking of you, Becky!  Hope all goes well.