or Connect

Posts by MissAnthrope

We don't shop for clothes in stores.  We shop online for better access to quality organic clothing and to avoid exposing our children to the gender dichotomy, and more and more as time goes on, we make our clothes at home.  That said, I know very well what you mean!   All of our children, regardless of sex, wear the same set of hand-me-down clothes until size 7.  We match styles of clothes to the child's development rather than sex-- long gowns are ideal for newborns so...
There's actually a name for that.  It's called the fetal ejection reflex.  I've never experienced it-- and I might never, because I'm such a control freak, the hardest part of labor for me is letting go and trusting-- but it's a thing.
I've never pushed more than 30 minutes-- not with the nuchal hand baby, not even with the late-turning nearly-shoulder-dystocia baby.   I have short labors (less than 12 hours start-to-finish), usually only about 10-15 minutes' pushing, I've never torn or been cut, and I bleed moderately to lightly for about 10 days afterward and am back to feeling like myself after two weeks.   I'm lucky.
My grandmother was a great user of newspaper, but we don't get a newspaper, so that's not an option for us.   We re-use gift bags and boxes from things we've received, and we save the plain white/unbleached/kraft packing paper from things we order for smalls to paint/stamp/draw on to make wrapping paper, but mostly, we use the set of fabric drawstring bags my mother and I have made.  My mom's are all specific to Christmas, but the ones I've made are general-- whenever I...
DH and I usually use mommy/daddy to refer to each other in the third person (I have to tell my 2yo DAILY "Daddy is at work right now, sweetheart."), but we use the regular first person (I don't ask my children to "Give that to mommy", I say "give that to me"), and when we adults address each other in the children's presence, we use the regular second person stuff-- you, or first names.    So my nearly-4yo calls DH by his first name, but both he and the nearly-3yo mostly...
... when your child's glasses are lost, you check inside the plastic recycling truck and the egg chute of the stuffed chicken first.   ... you are expert at piecing together what your child ate yesterday based on the empty containers under the table and the contents of today's diapers.   ... you laugh at the idea of splat mats because you have offwhite carpet and protecting only a 30" circle of floor is just ludicrous.   ... guests are confused by how to access your...
We use flats but double with prefolds for older kids (we use an origami fold and tuck a tri-folded prefold into the rectangular part of the diaper)-- babies under about 9-12 months generally don't need doubling unless they STTN.  I wash all our laundry by hand, so the fact that flats are so easy to wash and fast to dry is a HUGE plus for us.  Using the prefold helps decrease bulk a little, and since it's covered by the flat, it doesn't get as gross with solid waste, so it...
 I highly recommend Stonz booties http://www.stonzwear.com/Stonz_Booties/Department.aspx?DeptID=7  They're a bit pricey, so you might see if you can spot them on one of those steals/bargain sites, but they do the trick.  They are soft, virtually waterproof, flexible, long-fitting, machine-washable, and pretty durable, too.  In a very cold/snowy climate, I would also get the liners or knit some very thick socks to go in them, since they are quite thin.
Storebought, we opted for Robeez and the various knockoffs thereof (ministar, etc.).  But my favorite new-walker shoes are the ones I make...I use a pattern very much like this one: http://www.etsy.com/listing/61985593/tutorial-and-baby-shoe-pattern-baby because I find they are easy to adjust for narrow feet like my first one had and the most forgiving of chubby feet like my second child has and they stay on wiggly, flexible feet like my third one has.  You can't beat...
All of my three have gone through phases where they nursed every half hour during certain times of day.  In the first three months or so, my third nursed every 30-50 minutes around the clock most days.  Your baby's feeding pattern sounds completely normal to me.   I'm concerned about the tone of your question and especially your husband's question....babies are supposed to be chubby, especially in the first six months, and certainly they are supposed to get bigger...