or Connect

Posts by mamadiamond

ditto the other posters as far as turning and top stitching the birdseye. as far as keeping the inner layers from shifting around, definitely sew them in. i made some soakers that way without sewing the inner terry (was a washcloth folded in half) and it shifted and bunched the first time i washed it and is barely usable now. i like to just sew one straight stitch seam longways down the center of the soaker to hold the insides in place, and also creates a bit of a...
i use a mixture of pre-folds and covers, and some flannel fitteds that i made. my dd is a really heavy wetter and although i don't have leakage problems, even if i change her every 1.5 hours the diaper is still soaked. i don't like her sitting with all the wetness against her skin and i can't imagine it being comfortable. i know how gross my cotton clothes feel when they get wet somehow, so i can't imagine that being against my sensitive areas. i need ideas on making a...
  i've found some recipes for vegan cream cheese and cheese sauce, and they look good and do-able, but they involve nutritional yeast and cashews and other items that are out of my price range. when i can afford it, i'll definitely be trying vegan subs of all my favorite dishes, but for now i can't swing the ingredients.
thanks everyone! this is really giving me good ideas and helping me feel like i can do this without breaking the bank :)
thanks!!   i know there are so many things i could be cooking, just needed some help brainstorming. about 90% of my diet involved dairy, so suddenly having to cut all of it out sort of threw me for a loop. stir fry is a great idea, especially since i'm getting free tofu. i can only get soymilk with the WIC, but i don't mind the taste. i bought a couple cans of coconut milk to try. this will definitely make me expand my cooking skills. i'm pretty handy with a...
i blog. it's such a good outlet at the end of a long day with dd. it's a combination of daily life musings, soapbox rants, and occasional photos and recipes.   my favorite mom blog to read kandeeland.
my dd screamed so horribly any time i put her in the car, and i had to make two 9 hour drives with her by myself. the first drive was awful and i cried almost as much as she did. so i got one of those seat mirrors that plays music, and it was like a miracle. after months of screaming her lungs out as soon as she hit the carseat, now she just happily looks in the mirror and rarely fusses unless it's a very long trip or she's very tired. i only use the music now when she's...
i live in MD and just saw on the news where parents were lined up (hundreds of them) outside the courthouse with the option to either vaccinate their kids on the spot or face jail time for truancy. not joking. religious exemptions aren't as easy to get as some are making them sound. the process is getting a lot harder to get them, and you can apply for one but be denied. so your ex may not just be being stubborn....the climate here in MD has recently become very hostile...
i recently had to cut dairy out of my diet because of dd's allergies, and i've lost all of my go-to cheap casserole recipes. other than spending a fortune on groceries or only eating chicken soup every day, does anyone have some good cheap dairy-free recipes? i eat meat, so i don't need vegetarian recipes per se (i call my new diet "vegan with a side of bacon" :P), just some things that i can cook cheaply, from simple ingredients, that don't involve butter or cheese or...
thanks for the kind words. i hadn't thought about the 'finding your tribe' section, so i'll definitely check that out. i'm trying to get out of my comfort zone and reach out and make new connections, it's just frustrating sometimes.