or Connect

Posts by mamadiamond

i don't know how to quote, so i'm gonna have to just try to remember questions.    homeschooling - i was homeschooled from kindergarten till graduation, except for 9th grade which i went to private school. i loved it. we did unit studies (pick a topic like birds or india or whatever, and then all the writing, reading, science, etc has to do with that subject for a few weeks or months) which was so fun and i loved getting to pick what to learn about next. one of the...
thanks mamas for all the kind support. we were able to get an emergency loan from the navy relief society, and are also going to see what tiny portion the warranty will cover (after all the red tape we are going to make sure they pay for everything they are supposed to, even if it's not a lot), and can finally get the  van fixed. i'm hoping by this coming weekend to get back home. i'm dealing with the stress better by just ignoring things that i can't control, and not...
oh man, i just saw this. oops! i've been stuck out of town the past two weeks dealing with car troubles, so not online as much as usual. so i may be a bit slow to reply to questions but i will definitely reply :).   i'm betsy. i'm 26, married to dh tony. he is in the navy, and i'm a SAHM to our dd haven who just turned 2. we have been living in the DC area for the past 3 years, but the first week of october we are moving to san diego for the next three years. i'm...
thanks for all the kind words. i will find out today if it is a repair or a replacement. either one is out of our budget at this point, but since dh is in the navy he is going to try to get an interest free emergency loan from the navy assistance fund. if that gets approved we will be ok, and if not we will eventually be ok but have a lot of reworking of plans to do and things will be tough for a while. i've moved past the frantic, stressed out stage, and am moving into...
hi mamas. i'm stressed out beyond belief, and just need to bitch a bit if that's ok.  we bought a used minivan at the end of july, because our car is too small for two carseats and we needed a second car since dh and i will be living on opposite coasts for november and december. we bought the van "as is", but to be safe we bought an optional warranty for it. and then we took it to a mechanic to get it checked out, and it got a clean bill of health. our permanent...
we had a name picked out, and i had posted it on a previous name thread and then even on the 20 week thread, and then dh suddenly decided he wasn't into it. but almost immediately we came up with another name and we both think it's perfect and fits much better than the one we thought we had picked. new dd is going to be named Valencia Grace. do you know if you are having a boy or girl? one of the main reasons we find out the sex is for naming purposes, because for us...
when dd was newborn till about 4 months she slept on my chest and my enormous nursing boobs kept her from going anywhere lol. that also worked great as far as nursing in the night because i'd just pull my shirt up enough for a boob to be out and when she got hungry she was right there and just nursed without waking her or me up fully. we had a heavy blanket but i would pull it up to my waist, lay her on top of it (in a sleep sack), and wear a long sleeved shirt so my...
i'm actually very relieved we are having a girl because when i brought up with dh that if we had a boy i wanted to keep him intact dh freaked out. he wants a son to be just like him and "all the men in his family" etc etc. it's an emotional response, not one based on facts, so arguing the facts gets us nowhere. so i'm glad for a girl this time, which gives us a few more years to have gentle discussions and hopefully he will come around. i was kindof shocked at his strong...
thank you, all you beautiful mamas, for such awesome advice and story sharing. even the "it was horrible" stories are comforting in the solidarity sort of way. and i feel like this thread is really helping me un-fog my pregnancy brain and think through things. i know i need to establish some good routines with my toddler, that are simple enough to not be too much to keep up, and that will help us keep our bond and help her continue to have needs met. i know i need to...
thank you mamas for the words of reassurance. with dd i definitely did give myself a lot of rest time, and let go of expectations, but i think i took it so far that the house just got stressful and unlivable for me and dh. i had a really hard physical recovery with dd, and she was an intensely high needs baby (would *not* sleep unless i was holding her, and didn't like to be worn, nursed every hour and cried any time she wasn't nursing, explosive vomit all day....had...