or Connect

Posts by DaisyO

could you please add me? thank you Daisy Olden
I think there are probably lots of cool moms/families in the area. One of the really successful businesses there is the Central Street Farmhouse...look at this website http://centralstreetfarmhouse.com/ It is a homebrew, homesteading, and cloth diaper shop that also hosts related events, like breastfeeding support groups and a children's musician in the mornings. I haven't been there (Bangor or the shop), but I have met the owners, and if the community can support a...
Have you looked into Intermed? We see Karen Weiss, who is great, and pretty tolerant where vaccines are concerned. Maggie Zamboni is also supposed to be great and pretty tolerant. I think at Intermed, they have to mention the vaccines and recommend them, but they don't really push you to get them if you're not into it.
Thanks so, so much to all of you.  Very helpful and illuminating.  I am especially interested in how Asperger's etc affects girls differently from boys...will try to find that book.  My daughter certainly has some great strengths, and is a really unique person.  Her personality closely fits the profile I'm starting to recognize in some ways, and differs very much in others.  Thanks so much for giving me some tools to use going forward to help me understand if intervention...
Thanks Tabitha...that is pretty much verbatim what I would have said about my "poor kid's" playground rule. Believe me, she gets (productive, fun, safe) chaos elsewhere, including elsewhere on the playground. Just not on the slide.
That sounds so positive!  My daughter has similar issues, and (this is a bit late for you, I know), I always e-mail to warn/discuss her behavior or potential behavior.  All the teachers, group leaders, etc are always very happy to hear from me, I think because it gives them some insight into a situation that would otherwise be understandably confusing.   Good job and good luck!
No I do not, because she is only three and will think that if it is okay sometimes, it is always okay.  Plus, it is very frustrating to see the thing happen where she's trying to go down and some other kid then tries to go up.  She's been badly scared this way.  So, it's a general rule for us.  I think it contributes to too much playground chaos.
Piglet--thank you for the great points.  I think a good plan will be to just observe and see if I still feel like something's up in the near future...that way I won't miss the window of early diagnosis that you and others have mentioned.  My partner (her dad) is a special ed instructor whose students have mainly pretty serious classical autism, so he is not on board, that's the other thing.  Probably because of the extent of his students' differences, he doesn't see that...
oops!!! My apologies...the thing is that I wasn't familiar with that idiom! So sorry Piglet, I guess I was feeling defensive. The reason for that is because I do think it is impossible to make exact guesses about unknown kids via a forum, and I must have sort of expected to get called out on that.Anyway, that makes a lot of sense now and I'm sorry I misread. Your perspective is really valuable. JamieCatheryn, thanks so much for helping to clear that up. The other...
Thank you Earthmama! This is very helpful. If you have time, can you tell me what the red flag-ish things might be? Or how what I've described seems similar to your children? I've looked at online lists of traits, but am having a hard time seeing how her quirks match up (other than eye contact--that seems kind of obvious, but she's not universally bad at it). To a parent with special needs kids, this will seem like a dumb question, but I am out of the loop. I agree...