or Connect

Posts by kindacrunchy

imho, i think you should keep him in kindy one more year to help him mature. good for you for doing the medical investigating! i'm sure these delays have been causing him much frustration. you are seeing improvement, so celebrate that! i think doing a do-over in kindy will only help him mature and gain self-confidence and get more of a feel of how to self direct himself. if his little world has been askew, how can you expect him to perform like an average child with no...
Goodness, I had no idea there were all these replies. Thank you! The4of Us, that is what is happening. Younger brother will no way, no how back down, negotiate, etc., etc. It is his way or the highway. I, too, have worked extensively over the years. Mambera, I don't want my kids to learn to back down to someone who is being emotionally unreasonable as well. I can say that for my oldest, his stubborness and lack of bending to someone's whim worked in his favor at his new...
Yes, Montessorian, thank you! i would absolutely love a mentor! when i'm not cleaning up after sick kids i will pm you:)  
my son has had screen self-regulation issues his whole life. i limit him. 30 minutes at a time. twice a day. otherwise, he would be on the screen all day long. i have implemented so many things. chores done first, school work done first, token system. token system was great. he was allowed 1 hour of screen a day. 1 hour-4 tokens. If he wanted to play more he had to play outside. 30 minutes of outside time=1 token. pretty much, screen time over an hour must be earned...
Some of you have made good points. It is sometimes hard to have a kid that is so mature in one realm of life and remember that he is only 9 (almost) 10. Yes, it has only been 4months in this type of structure. He does need to deprogram from the top-down ways of the public school. And, no, he has not had this type of schooling since kinder so he is not used to the lack of structure in the school environment. I agree that he needs the scaffolding and have voiced this to...
I really think my 9 yo ds will live with us for the rest of his life! There I got it out of my system:) Seriously, though, we moved him from public school to a montessori school this year so the sky could be his limit. However, he isn't staying on task while at school. They have an agenda for the week and must have all items completed to attend their electives. He hasn't attended electives for the past 3 weeks. This isn't like him. He always finished his work and would...
I need help! We just went from public school to a Montessori/home school hybrid school this year. My son is in 4th grade but doing 6th grade work. Which is one reason why we moved schools. But, the problem we are having is deprogramming from public school ways to montessori ways. For me and him.  He has always done well in school. He learns quickly, does the work, never had to ask for help, etc. We switched because he was bored and not challenged enough. Now he is getting...
a parenting coach suggested saying to my son who is almost 7 and does this a lot, is "i know you really want that, but I can't let you have it this time."  
Last night my 9 and 6 yo sons were playing and then play took a dive into power struggle. my oldest was using his words and staying calm, "I was playing with that can I please have it back" while having a death grip on said thing. YOungest having death grip on the other thing is not using words but using all his might to keep oldest from getting said thing. Oldest asks for help, I step in and tell youngest to let go and give it to oldest since he was playing with it and...
and if we did all that and he still does not take care of it, then what?