or Connect

Posts by ShadowMom

Not trying to hijack the thread, but these are good suggestions. At my son's school, they take turns and provide snacks for a whole week at a time. I'm not used to that at all, so the snacks will need to keep well. I could maybe send banana muffins the first day and the snacks could get increasingly well preserved as time goes on. The teacher apparently has no way to refrigerate them, as well... and no nuts. If anyone has other suggestions, please post them! ...
I would not let the authors of that book discipline my cat, much less my child.
I am also in the camp of practicing my parenting because it is what I feel is right, not necessarily because of an outcome. I do think that we need to let go of the idea that we have control over how our children will turn out. We definitely don't! All we can do is set the stage, give them the love they need to make their own way in the world, and be here to provide support when things go awry for them. I think anyone who parents in a specific way so that their...
I don't have that much new to add. If DS starts acting bossy, I will say, "Are you remembering to not be bossy?" or "I don't like being bossed around. I need you to say that differently. Can you say 'mom, I need your help' instead?" I am always very specific about what I need him to say differently and generally offer an example of how he can phrase things differently. I see a lot of people doing the whole, "That's not how we say that" sort of thing in real life,...
Thanks for the suggestions! I went to the used book store and loaded up. My DS seems kind of torn on our reading, he will tell me he doesn't like it that much but then he insists on reading another chapter every night. Quote: Originally Posted by zinemama Could you explain your thinking on this? Pretty much every decent book out there has been made into a movie. None - or very few - of which I have any inclination to show my children. But...
Great ideas, I had completely forgotten about the Ramona books... I loved those... Poor kid, now I have to relive my entire childhood through him... Stuart Little looks really cute but I'm trying to avoid books that have been made into movies... it's so sad, so many of them have been.
I'm reading Charlotte's Web to my 5 year old DS, one chapter a night before bed.... he's enjoying it a lot! : What next, though? I think he would get impatient with the Narnia series... a little too slow moving... We have a Junie B. First Grader book, but I am not a big fan of her... not sure DS likes her that much either. Would appreciate any suggestions! And I'm glad we have this nightly story time together... I got the idea from this board and it was a...
Whoa... you are kidding me... That looks really neat. Thank you! My 5 year old is going to be in heaven. See, a lot of times the greener solution is the way to go for lazy slobs like me.
I need to fertilize my lawn this fall... I have read a couple of articles about fertilizing and am confused... I just want to get rid of these stupid sand burrs, so I have done hours and hours and hours and HOURS of reading, trying to figure it out. I think I have a plan of action, which involves, fertilizing my lawn, planting clover, and when the clover is established, spreading corn meal gluten in the spring. Do I really have to go have my dirt analyzed before I...
Is anyone else trying to do estate planning as a single parent? I would like to make sure that if something happened to me, certain things would be in place for my son (i.e. him inheriting any money, but not having direct access to it until he's an adult). I thought we could discuss our plans for this and maybe have a discussion. So, here are my thoughts so far. I know that I need to set up a trust and designate the trust as my beneficiary. I would have to find...