or Connect

Posts by ShadowMom

My son has almost outgrown his Britax Regent seat, so I'm looking at boosters for him (he's 5.5 yo, and 55 lbs or thereabouts). There is tons of info for the lighter/younger kids' car seats, but I'm finding little on regular booster seats. Does this mean that they are all pretty much the same? It would be nice because the Britax Regent is a bank-breaker and I don't have another $250 laying around for this sort of thing. Can someone advise me on where to find...
Quote: Originally Posted by russianthistle I'm curious to know what others do for a flailing three year old who's melting down because he's tired...but also going about the house, kicking and screaming and throwing ANYTHING in his path...we had one of those meltdowns last night...and I fared well for a bit...at least made it through the tantrum part, but then lost it when he wouldn't go to sleep after two hours...two hours... The two hours included...
Quote: Originally Posted by St. Margaret We've found a lot of success by using emotion coaching from "How to Raise an Emotionally Intelligent Child" by John Gottman. He talks about how kids just don't know how to get back from that angry place, to get calm. So we worked with DD, coaching her to "get calm" by taking breathes, mostly, and showing her what she could do-- clap her hands really hard, hit a pillow, even shout if it was going to be shouting...
I shop at Coldwater Creek (most of their stores don't have a plus size section, but online it goes up to 3x... lots of great stuff there!), J. Jill, Avenue, Lane Bryant (sometimes...), and Dillards. I would say I like the clothes at Coldwater Creek the best. Be careful of stuff that is dry-clean-only if you don't want to dry clean, though! If you have the money, I think Dillards has really nice clothes, very professional and stylish. It all depends on your...
Quote: Originally Posted by Periwinkle having 100 lbs. to lose when you're 29 is NOT cool. Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I am 100 lbs overweight, and while I rarely think of myself as "cool", I'm just fine with who I am. Some people are fat... that's just life. While the OP's mom made some very inappropriate comments, unfortunately she reflects our culture's attitude about looks at large. If a woman becomes overweight,...
Groan... I got separated from my ex-h and immediately purchased a little house. It's on a HALF ACRE. It's OLD. It requires MAINTENANCE. It needs a HANDY person. I am not that person. Really, I had no business buying a house, I just wasn't smart enough at the time to know it. I have a friend who's a financial planner and he said that buying a house is mainly for emotional reasons... rarely is there actually a financial advantage. We tell ourselves it's better,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride I do not understand how anybody can require a sincere apology. If children are being required to apologize, then they're not being required to have empathy - they're being required to say "I'm sorry". Teaching kids about empathy and requiring them to say "I'm sorry" are two different things. I agree. I simply cannot force my DS to "feel" sorry for something. If I feel bad about something that he's...
At 3 years old I think that consistency is the key. The fact that they don't listen is actually sort of irrelevant, believe it or not. You are setting the stage and establishing guidelines. Children frequently seem to not listen - they have very poor impulse control, they are exploring and learning and testing. Even though 3 seems like a child should know, still at that age it was more doing and less talking. Instead of explaining about the plant, for instance, I...
My 5 year old DS has discovered the video games on the computer... and he's totally addicted. It's been a few weeks now and he just loves them (they're pretty much age appropriate games that relate to tv shows, such as Wubbzy, Dora, or the Fairly Oddparents). Of course, since it's something new he likes to play all of the time right now. Sometimes he gets annoyed with the computer (with whatever game he's playing) and will get really irritated at it. If he starts...
Quote: Originally Posted by veggiebytes My husband is a computer geek and we met online and find it more comfortable at times to communicate with anyone by email. My family often complains about me not answering the phone. Before social events I often get a bit cranky and afterwards I want to lay down and recover. My daughter on the otherhand was born wanting to be out in the world...never wanted to snuggle...she wanted to be facing out in her Baby...