or Connect

Posts by ShadowMom

My DS' schedule with his dad and I is going to change in a major way in a few weeks (not by my choice but it is what it is). His dad has agreed that we can tell him together, but beyond that I have no idea how to bring it up or what to say. I was thinking I would get a calendar and mark the days he would be with me in one color, and the days he is at his dad's in another color to help explain. But overall he is not going to be thrilled with the change. Has...
PreggieUBA2C, thanks for your post! Very helpful. I think you are a little further along the road than I am toward understanding yourself and what your needs are. Hopefully I can learn from that. Quote: Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C If you are an introvert, and you think that you are not extending yourself adequately to meet your child's needs, then by all means, do so, but if you are wondering if it's okay to be introverted and raise your child...
Mama - if you feel like you are at possible risk during this situation, I would encourage you to call the local city prosecutor for your area and ask about a protection from abuse order. As far as how to get through it - you will be able to. It will really suck. But once you get away from the situation, and you wonder how on earth you put up for it so long, and you realize that even though things are hard you have LEFT and you no longer have to be responsible for an...
I'm not familiar with your situation but I think it's a good idea to have a good attorney on your side. Things never seem to go completely smoothly. If your husband makes things difficult, however, it will cost you a lot more than that, I think. The bad thing about having an attorney involved is that they can really escalate things. It depends on the personality of the attorney somewhat, so if things are going peacefully with your stbx, and you want to keep it that...
I think it takes a fair amount of arrogance to assume that you are right about something and other people just need to be educated.... and if only they were educated, they would do things your way. That is the belief we all seem to secretly hold, but it's not true. There are EXTREMELY few situations where parenting is either RIGHT or WRONG. It sure seems that way when you think that you're right and the other person is wrong, but it's simply not the case. ...
Are there any other introverted mothers out there? I was wondering if we could talk about being very introverted and a homebody sort of person and how that can sometimes be at cross purposes with good parenting. Left to my own devices, I rarely or never do anything "social". I will go out with friends sometimes, although I rarely have them over to the house. I generally avoid events with a whole lot of people, because I hate crowds. Well... at least that is how...
Subbing. I love this book, and I detest most parenting books. It completely changed my outlook on parenting (MDC helped with this as well though). I definitely tend to re-enact the way I was parented as a child. Rather than being autocratic, I tend to be passive aggressive and I withdraw when I'm frustrated or mad (which my DS definitely interprets as withdrawing my love). I've let go of many of the unhealthy ideals about obedience and such. What I really...
Does anyone know of fun drinks one can make at home, either mixed drinks or blender-type ones, that kids love? I have found a few online but they mainly use koolaid and such. I imagine it would be really easy, but if I had a starting recipe or two with the right proportions or some good ideas I could tweak them or modify them... Surely, with a blender, I could make a slushy-like drink? TIA for any suggestions.
Wow! That rocks. What a cool kid!
I don't know if this helps, but at a local Montessori school they do the "peace rose" thing which I really like. If one person hurts another, you get the peace rose and you take turns holding it... first the child who got hit holds it, and they talk about how it made them feel, then the child who hit holds the peace rose, and talk about what they are feeling, and you do that a few more times. I think it helps to encourage the "I" statements... "I was really mad that...