or Connect

Posts by ShadowMom

I like to watch Iron Chef, Good Eats, Secrets of a Restaurant Chef (she's always doing something at least a little "different"), Barefoot Contessa and Jamie Oliver (in spite of his mockney accent and baby talk). I know a lot of people like them, but I cannot stand Sandra Lee or Rachel Ray. And that new show with Claire Robinson, "5 Ingredient Fix" or whatever, really annoys the crap out of me. I seriously doubt all of their cooking abilities. No offense intended to...
My DS didn't watch TV at all until he was 3 (and I went back to work). Now he's 5, and he's addicted, and I'm addicted to the Food Network! I am thinking I will cancel our cable (costs $60 a month!) but I'm not sure how to explain it to him. I think I need to explain it a few days ahead of time, so it's not a surprise (that would be bad). Any suggestions on ways to explain it to a 5yo in a way that will help it not be a horrible thing? I think we will both...
I'm all for leaving the messages up to the parents and family, and leaving it out of media personally, due to this kind of crap. Because half the time, it's a message I don't want to send, KWIM? I noticed the whole "never give up" message is very strong in children's books/shows/etc. ... I'm sorry, but that is one of the stupidest messages. Ditto with the overgeneralized, way too mainstream nutrition advice they all offer nowadays too.
Driving... they live around 30-40 minutes from Chuck E. Cheese, which makes it even odder that they didn't just want to meet there. I just looked up the car seat laws, and in Kansas you have to use a booster at 5 still, by law... so I can call in the guise of making sure they have enough booster seats to make sure they're planning on following the law... I don't know, the idea of meeting somewhere that far away from the place, then driving all of the kids there and...
I haven't had this come up before and am a bit stumped... My ex-h called me this afternoon to tell me that DS has a birthday party tomorrow afternoon to go to (one of his classmates). The parents are instructed to drop the kids off at their house, and then apparently the parents are going to take all of the kids to Chuck E Cheese, then bring them back to their house, and then the parents will pick them up. I'm a little stumped on what to do. I will be at work and...
My DS and I have been experimenting with making our own foods - stuff that is typically bought (marshmallows, ice cream, all sorts of things). I'd like to flavor these things with raspberry or strawberry or other flavors, but I'm not too sure how to do it. My DS have um, texture issues so I can't just chop up strawberries and throw them in there. He wouldn't care for that. I was thinking I could get the fruit I want to use for flavoring, and reduce it in a pan...
Quote: Originally Posted by Seasons I really like your wisdom here. If one of our goals as parents is to prepare our kids for happy, healthy adulthood; and another of our goals is to enjoy our children; and another is to help them know how to give and receive love; then I think practicing ways to be lovingly together in the "business" of everyday life meets all these goals. If my daughter somehow chooses to marry, I'd be thrilled if she has learned -...
Well, to me, it seems like during the week my DS and I are in the same house, but not really interacting that much. I guess that really I'm feeling guilty because I have taken an interest in cooking (something I've always loved) and so that means when I'm cooking I'm in the kitchen cooking, while he's doing other things... he does help me sometimes, but he's in a VERY picky phase and just doesn't like a lot of foods or to help as much as he used to. I really feel...
Here's a typical weekday for us - I pick up DS after work, we get home. I make dinner and try to clean the kitchen at the same time. After dinner is ready, we eat and spend a bit of time together then. Then I generally have laundry to do or need to pick the house up a bit, so DS entertains himself for a while as I do that. After I'm done with that (and I do not do as much picking up or cleaning as I should, our house is always a mess) I spend a bit of time with DS...
First, let me say that I am no therapist. I think that you are giving your son a lot of responsibility - whether or not he's a "person with empathy", or going to be a violent sociopath with no empathy, is on his shoulders right now. That's too much responsibility! He's just a three year old who has a particular fascination for. And yes, as we have probably all seen in our children at some point, it is much harder for a child to understand that he or she is really...