or Connect

Posts by Ruthiegirl

Tonight is our family movie night.  My kids have been waiting for ages to see Frozen and it became available this week.  I I need to pick up some popcorn kernels to make snacks.    no spend/budgeted not in the budget, stupid spending   March 1 -- groceries March 2 -- another small piece for dd's science project, 3.99 movie, dh bought some liquor for his martini habit.  It was expensive and I really wish he would drop this, but it is a small luxury for him.  I...
We are a family of six and our grocery budget has been spiraling higher and higher.  I have not been pantry building, we simply eat everything that I bring home.  Our grocery budget includes all food, alcohol, pet supplies, toiletries, cleaning supplies, laundry soap, essentially anything we consume.   I started itemizing in February and we had an immediate decrease in our grocery spending:   January -- 1220.21 February -- 821.70 March -- on track to be a bit under...
no spend/budgeted not in the budget, stupid spending   March 1 -- groceries March 2 -- another small piece for dd's science project, 3.99 movie, dh bought some liquor for his martini habit.  It was expensive and I really wish he would drop this, but it is a small luxury for him.  I am including it in the grocery budget which is going to make it hard to reduce that category.  March 3 -- March 4 -- 2 new bras -- returned everything, free shipping March 5 -- ...
The kids have a swim meet this weekend.  These events always nickel and dime me, but we have done well so far.  I bought a heat sheet for $5 and 2 water bottles since I didn't bring enough for everyone.  We head back today and should get away with spending $0.    I will need to get back to the grocery store tonight or we won't have food to pack for school this week.  We ate everything I bought on Friday.  My kids eat so much food!     no spend/budgeted not in the...
no spend/budgeted not in the budget, stupid spending   March 1 -- groceries March 2 -- another small piece for dd's science project, 3.99 movie, dh bought some liquor for his martini habit.  It was expensive and I really wish he would drop this, but it is a small luxury for him.  I am including it in the grocery budget which is going to make it hard to reduce that category.  March 3 -- March 4 -- 2 new bras -- returned everything, free shipping March 5 -- ...
I had some unexpected free time today when a friend took ds for the afternoon.  I did a quick trip to Target for socks and underwear for ds2.  In my past life, I would have stopped for a coffee, but I skipped it and had a nice cup of tea when I got home.      no spend/budgeted not in the budget, stupid spending   March 1 -- groceries March 2 -- another small piece for dd's science project, 3.99 movie, dh bought some liquor for his martini habit.  It was...
Gorgeous evening last night.  The kids and I stopped at the store for a few picnic things and feasted outdoors.  Today will be a no-spend.     no spend/budgeted not in the budget, stupid spending   March 1 -- groceries March 2 -- another small piece for dd's science project, 3.99 movie, dh bought some liquor for his martini habit.  It was expensive and I really wish he would drop this, but it is a small luxury for him.  I am including it in the grocery budget...
Okay, back to our normal Mon-Fri routine.  My husband found a good mitt for my son, used it was $35.  I was surprised, but my dh reminded me that they are normally $100 new.  Good grief.  This one should last him a long while and can always be passed down to a younger brother.  Baseball gives us 10 weeks of fun and activity, so I don't begrudge the money.     We can still make our savings goal for the month, but it does mean a stop to any more purchases.  If we can keep...
We are gearing up for baseball season.  I have 2 boys playing this year and my younger son needed cleats.  Found a new pair for $15 and my other son needed sneakers so badly.  He found a terrific pair for $20.  My kids are so good at looking for deals.  My 10 year old walked by the new shoe selection and went right to the sale aisle.  He found 3 pairs that he liked and narrowed it down to the best fitting pair.  "Look mom!  Only 20 bucks!"  Love him.    He and my dh are...
Ugh, I am spending money.   I bought a birthday present for a last minute party happening today.  This is for a 6 year old friend of ds's.  I gave my son a  $15 budget and he found some Lego's that just squeaked under the spending limit.  While there, I bought a $1 Matchbox car for my 2 year old who was delightfully un-2-year-old-like in the toy store.    I am postponing our big grocery store trip till tomorrow or maybe Sunday.  I just don't feel like it!   For someone...