or Connect

Posts by amyjoyce79

A few things to consider.   One size wool wraps can be hard to adjust down in size if the wool is stretchy, as most wool used for diaper covers usually will be.  I've had much better luck just getting the proper sizes.  Actually measure your baby and know things like rise, waist, and thigh measurements when you shop.   Take care of your wool and it keeps a good portion of its value for resale, so even if it doesn't fit right for you, it could still work for...
I also find cloth wipes more convenient.  I keep stacks of them everywhere I change diapers and just use my squirt bottle or run them under the faucet, then throw in bag with dirty diaper.
Night time diapering can be tough and it seems like once we figure it out, baby changes and we need to adapt again!  We moved to fitteds and wool for overnight at about 6 months, and I can't imagine doing it any other way with a toddler.  We started using kiwi pie fitteds, and they worked great until about 14 months.  They are very trim and didn't hold as much as larger fitteds.  We still like them, but only for daytime.  And yes, they need a cover.  They are just a...
Flannel isn't very snappi friendly.  You can do it, but the teeth don't hold well. This is because the weave is too tight in the fabric for the teeth to get between.  Prefolds are traditionally made out of cotton Birdseye fabric and this is a perfect material for snappis and fairly cheap.  If you really want to use some flannel, you could make the prefolds out of it and make one layer of one side out of a snappi friendly fabric.  Other good fabrics for snappis to grab...
We also love kiwi pie bamboo fitteds for night time and we use them with wool covers and add a fleece liner inside for a stay dry layer.  We also have some Sustainablebabyish snappless fitteds and some work at home mom bamboo fitteds that are very absorbant.  You could always add an extra bamboo or hemp insert for more absorbency, but we haven't yet needed to with our 15 month old.  There is just no way pockets were going to keep working for overnight for us once he...
For newborn covers, I would also recommend the Bummis covers in the smallest size.  The Super Brights go smaller than the Super Whisper Wraps.  The main other difference between the two is that the Super Brights have a wipe-able inside and the SWW have cloth inside.  These worked for our son until he was much bigger than the posted weight range, and he was big around the waist, so they were a good value for us.
Another use for odd scraps that aren't large enough to use for anything else is to use them to stuff homemade toys!  Bears, dolls, etc...
Looks like it's been a few months.  Is this still a possibility?
It's a great idea to try out a few different diapers to see what you like.  There are a lot of different styles and you may find that it's a little annoying to stuff fuzzibunz (they work well, but are really skinny through the middle).  Diaperswappers.com is a good place to get some gently used diapers and save a little money before investing in more new ones.  Some diaper shops also have rental programs where you can try a bunch of different kinds and send back the ones...
We love fitteds and wool, especially for night time!  Kiwi Pie fitted bamboo diapers are great for absorbency, but still fairly trim.  They are also very stretchy, so they fit well.  I also love my sustainablebabyish snapless fitteds.  For daytime I do like my GMD workhorse fitteds and Mother Ease fitteds.  They're very simple and they work.  My little man runs around the house with just one of those on often when we are at home.  My favorite wool soakers and longies are...