or Connect

Posts by eyeamviolet

I agree most with marsupial-mom. Please reserve judgment after one visit.  She spends two hours feeding him breakfast and worries about his academic progress Because she loves him.  If she didn't care she wouldn't do those things.  Our family has many, many professionals involved.  Some of whom I am sure might have written similar assumptions about my parenting.  I noticed you listed "PTSD" in the list of diagnosis.  The new thinking is that PTSD is actually a diagnosis...
I am adding that yes foster adoption is a great option.  I have three beautiful children adopted from foster care.  I'm not saying it is easy.  But, whether you give birth or adopt any child you don't know what their physical or mental health needs will be.  Don't assume that all kids who need to be adopted are "broken."  If you have a loving, stable home you would be a great candidate for foster adoption and depending on where you live the process can take 3 months to a...
Blessings to all as the seasons change here in the NorthEast US.  Life gets busy and I'm not as in touch with the changing world around me as much as I would like.  I would like to find time to make it to at least High Holiday Rituals.  Haven't found much in the way of community here in Eastern MA though.  If anyone is out my way I would love to connect.
I'm new to the forums and not sure what BTDT stands for.  But, it sounds like you live in MA which is where we live.  You can specify foster to adopt in MA.  In fact it is the only way to get to public adoption in MA.  All foster children need to be in your home a minimum of 6 months before adoptions can be finalized.  I have been told from workers in the system a long time they used to have very high disruption rates and the requirement is meant to make sure people are...
I ended up ordering air dry clay kits from castingkeepsakes.com  I did want input but, got impatient waiting.  I had considered buying one of the ink kits and doing a print instead of a mold.  But, I like the idea of a larger more solid piece to hang on the wall or maybe even put them in shadow boxes.        I am a little worried about whether the kids will hold still for the mold.  Supposedly this kind you just press their hand into it so you don't have to hold it...
We have been using Happy Heiny's snap training pants over the g-diaper at night.  So far so good he hasn't been able to get it all off.  Yet.  We had tried zipping pj's on backward but, that was too much of a pain since he asks to go potty so often.  This works better so far.  I keep thinking he'll give up the diapers any day now.  But, he won't be 3 until 11/30 and usually when I ask he says "nope."  So I'm not pushing him. 
Has anyone successfully done plaster or air dry clay casts of kids hands?  We want to do casts of the kids to remember how little they are.  They've been here a year already so the clock is ticking.  Clay/plaster must be easy and not messy and have a good finished product that will last forever.  Suggestions for brands?
I don't think he is really ready to be done with diapers.  I think he is just exploring.  And did I mention we have 3 boys ages 2,3,4yo?  The 4yo is in a twin bed with rails.  But, the other 2 are in cribs with crib tents.  I am not willing to let that go yet.  It is hard enough to get them all to sleep as it is if we let more of them run around freely we won't get sleep.        Another issue is that they were foster children for 2 years.  So they never learned good...
Yes that is how I feel.  Tired and some days out of patience.  But,mostly happy It really does feel right.  Just hard.  I know it will never be easy but, there are things that will be different.  Like reminding them to get ready for school but, not having to brush their hair and teeth, put on their clothes, shoes, back packs etc.  Eventually I hope they can do most of that themselves which will mean I'm spending less time running back and forth literally.
Katherine how long have the kids been with you?  Did you feel like that from the beginning?  Did you get them all at once?  Most moments I feel lucky. But, there are whole days where I think I must be crazy to have agreed to this.  Although I find myself questioning the how I have not yet questioned the why.