or Connect

Posts by insidevoice

It seems to me that if I were this gf, I'd be pretty annoyed at my partner's mom thinking she needed to be so involved in my choice.  And, ultimately, it is- and should be!- her decision.   The best thing you can do is very simply to say repeatedly, that no matter what choice she makes you will be supportive and help in any way you can. If she decided to have the child, you can be supportive of that.  If she decides to terminate, you can offer your support in that...
We like the walmart garanimals stuff here as well.  They had some great french terry sort of pull on pants with a nice wide waistband last year that I'm hoping they will carry again this year. I think they were about $4 each, but they held up really well and actually stayed up on my guys (a lot of pants fall off or fit funny- these are great for us.)   I also check the thrift shop every so often, and get lucky with things there occasionally.  It's very hit or miss...
This.  And, I've been there.  DD's father has no rights.  I don't get support (though the state refused to waive arrears) but she's really not missing anything in terms of not having a relationship with him.  She can work that out as an adult- when she's old enough to not be a victim. 
It was really hard for me to make the leap to trusting that my child is learning 'enough'.  I do have a teaching degree, but I never have used it really.  I also have a profoundly gifted child who is 2E (PG with  Aspergers) it's been an enormous leap of faith because for about 18 months she wasn't visibly 'learning' at least not the way it looks when you view it through the lens of a public school classroom.   Since she was very advanced already, I chose to take a...
The interesting thing, for me, has been finding that we don't actually use the second bedroom we have.  The kids sleep with me in the master bedroom.  It's actually quite cozy.  However, I do crave a little more space for  myself at times, but it's certainly not impossible to manage as things are. 
SO much of this comes down to how the space is used and laid out.    Our current home is about 900 sq feet.  It's not well laid out though, so sometimes it feels a little crunched.    Our new house is about 2500 square feet, with two kitchens and two living areas, as well as extra bedrooms.  To me that seems enormous, but I realize that it would feel small to some people.    With a well laid out 700 square feet, we could manage, but I admit I like having a...
Wait, cleaning the car?  NO NO!!  I did that a couple weeks ago, and it's somehow a mess again.  *sigh* I'm not touching it until the dumpster is dropped off here.   :D   So far I have   Made breakfast (mmm- oatmeal!) Planned a treat for the day- and taken out a stick of butter to soften (cookies!)  unloaded the dishwasher and put in the breakfast stuff (10 minutes) played with the kids for a bit- they should go down for a nap soon (I can hope) started a...
I originally planned to be a very classical homeschool family. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that isn't what my child needs.     I was thrown for a loop and I felt like we were spinning our wheels for a bit,  but then she just blossomed. We lean more towards unschooling than anything else, but are too schooly for true unschooling- I think.     One thing I really had to do was to focus on what she needed to learn instead of what I thought she needed to...
I do that occasionally with vanilla and cinnamon or orange peels.  My DD is always disappointed to find out it isn't something to eat.         
Ahh- my house smells clean.    -We started to do a tidy in the living room- and wound up rotating toys and doing a deep clean.  It feels lovely.  All done though in less than 30 minutes really.    -Kitchen has been cleaned and dishes started in the dishwasher.  Lunch was sandwiches with no mess and no effort.  15 minutes total   Cleaned out the woodstove and got it ready for cool evenings. 10 minutes   Started some bread dough. 10 minutes   Mopped the...