or Connect

Posts by gitanamama

Hi mama, I can totally relate-- my DS (now 3) woke up 3-6 times a night until he was 27 months-- at which point we weaned completely. It was exhausting and really took its toll on me physically and emotionally-- although I don't know if I would have done anything differently. I tried many times at different stages to break the night-nursing cycle, but DS has always been more stubborn than most kiddos :) When he wanted to nurse, he wouldn't take any other form of...
subbing-- hopefully other mamas will chime in with some great resources/advice. 
In the same boat as a lot of you mamas-- wishing I had more friends and trying to be more proactive about it. I have 3 great friends who I've known since childhood, but two of them live an hour away, and it's so much harder than it should be to connect frequently. I also stay at home with my son, while DH is at work with the car, so I'm limited as to where we can go (I know, not a real excuse-- I can walk to a couple parks, maybe even the library, if I'm feeling...
  Mama, I can definitely relate to a lot of what you're saying-- my DH came from a physically and emotionally abusive home-- his reactions in regards to discipline are usually a lot more "harsh" than mine, and I try to be understanding, considering his background, and compromise somewhat, considering DS is OUR son. That being said, I would never be ok with DH using any sort of physical force or violence as discipline. Nor would I tolerate him using any sort of abusive...
Hi mama,   I only have one child and no experience/historty of PPD so I can't say that consuming my placenta prevented it, but I do know that it helped with a postpartum hemorrhage. My midwife's assistant mixed part of the placenta into a berry smoothie about an hour after DS was born. At that point, I was bleeding pretty heavily, had been given a shot of Pitocin (I believe?) that didn't seem to be working, and the midwife was beginning to consider a transfer to the...
Sorry if I'm totally overstepping my bounds here-- I know this isn't advice that you asked for, but it concerns me that you and your partner have such different parenting philosophies. And even more concerning to me is that your fiance slaps your son's hand and that you felt you had to agree not to hug and comfort DS afterwards. It would NOT be ok with me if my DH used any sort of physical punishment with our son-- even hand smacking. It goes against all of my beliefs--...
I don't know much (anything!) about Los Alamos, but Santa Fe has lots of different pre-school options. Check out La Casita, Little Earth, Dragonfly School, Temple Beth Shalom, Desert Montessori, and Gentle Nudge. La Casita is cooperative-- the rest are not but they are progressive, warm, sweet schools (most of them have websites so you can check them out that way for now...)   I grew up here in SF and loved it-- and we're now raising DS here. I'd be happy to gush...
My son (almost 3) has started screaming in a similar way. His screams are part of tantrums, which often end in him crying so hard that he throws up. I have tried everything in my repertoire of gentle parenting techniques to help him through these tantrums, but nothing seems to work. I try empathizing, offering alternatives, helping name his feelings--- talking to him just seems to make him more angry. Giving him want he wants is the only way to end the tantrum and 50% of...
I looked all around for a holistic/alternative pediatrician here and wasn't able to find any :(      Trish1820-- as for midwives, I highly recommend Elizabeth Cassidy. PM for her number if you'd like. She's wonderful!    And, getting a bit sidetracked, hiya all you other SF mamas! Somehow it's taken me two years to discover this forum-- so glad to see there are other 505 mamas here on MDC! :) Now if only we could find a great pediatrician.....
I wish I had some names to offer-- I was on the same search for my son (he's now almost 3) and went from doctor to doctor without much luck.  I now take him to Full Circle Family Healing on Luisa Street. They do take Medicaid but they're not as alternative/open-minded as I would like (very much pro-vaccine/antibiotics/etc.)    Hopefully someone else will give a recommendation-- I'd love to switch to someone more holistic.