or Connect

Posts by gitanamama

Yes!! We're TTC for number two now, and even though I'm excited, I have moments of absolute panic and terror that #2 will be as high needs as DS. DS has the same reaction to your son to being told no, or even "wait please." I can't tell you how many stores/restaurants/etc. we've rushed out of because DS just lost it over something (his cookie broke in half was today's cause for a meltdown.) How do mom's with two (or more!) high needs kiddos do it?!
We use time-ins! DS (2.5) is a very *spirited*, high-needs kiddo. He easily gets frustrated and worked up, and usually has at least a few tantrums per day. I've found that often the best thing I can do for him is to remove him from whatever situation he's in--what we call "time-out." It's not a punitive, "you've been bad" type thing, it's just helping him learn to recognize that he is out of control and needs a break. If DS is having a tantrum or hits a friend, I pick...
Just chiming in to say that your experience sounds almost exactly like mine. From day 1, my DS (now 2) needed to be nursed or held BY ME to be content. I couldn't pass him off to his dad or my my mom for longer than a few minutes or else he'd lose it. He hated the car.....to the point of screaming so hard he turned blue. Errands were hell. I learned to pull my pants down and button them with one hand because otherwise pee breaks involved lots of screaming. When visiting...
I could have written your post a few months ago! DS is 29 months now, but up until 27 months, he woke up between 2 and 5 times a night. I had to nurse him back down each time---he would flip out if DH tried to comfort him or if I refused to nurse. And sometimes it took 30 minutes or more to get him back down.    I wish I had advice for you, but things only changed for us once DS stopped nursing at 26 months. For about a month after that, he still woke up multiple...
mamaprovides---that was awesome! You just wrote a crash course for SAHM--wish I'd read it when I started this job 2 years ago! I especially love #7. We're in the heat of the *tremendous* two's right now and there are times when I find myself about to explode. And I have lots of practice with this---I was a daycare teacher and a nanny for years before DS was born!    No advice to add---I think the other mamas did a great job covering the bases. I hope you're feeling...
Thanks for all the input! I'm impressed by those whose kiddos can do a relatively early bedtime (8ish) after a good nap. I wish that worked for us! DS is all over the place at this point---I'm hoping that maybe with fall and the days getting shorter, he'll be able to naturally fall into a routine. I can't seem to find one that consistently works---and it doesn't help that my work schedule is inconsistent. Sometimes he's up at 5:30, down for a nap from 11:30-1:30, but...
I took my DS in at 18 months (our insurance sent me a notice saying it was time) and sort of regret going that early. The whole experience was pretty traumatic for both of us---they had me hold DS down while one hygenist held his mouth open and another cleaned his teeth. DS screamed hysterically (obviously!!) and I was really shaken up. I went along with it at the time, but looking back, I really wish I'd stopped the cleaning once DS started to get upset. No better way...
My DS is 2 years and 3 months and we're trying to find a sleep schedule that works for him. Due to my work schedule, it isn't possible to put him down for a nap most days until 12:30ish. When he does start a nap around this time, he usually sleeps for about 2 hours, wakes up super grumpy, and then is up until 9:30 or so. On the days that he doesn't nap, he's usually a wreck in the evenings and we end up putting him to bed around 6:30.    Just wondering what routine...
astromum--I had two thirteen year old girls come and help out a couple times last month---it was the best thing ever!! They're friends of my family and wanted to "practice" babysitting-my son looooved having someone new give him all their attention, and I loved having two hours to get work done! I'm hoping to make it a more regular thing. So helpful for my sanity!   Mama505--we just invented a new game called "night night." I get to lay down on the playroom floor and...
astromum-- I can relate in so many ways!!! I have a 2 and a half year old son who is very active and *spirited* as well. And I run an Etsy business and a landscaping business from home (I do the bookkeeping/secretarial work for my husband's business.) We're also having serious nap struggles right now---if DS does nap, he's up until 10 and grumpy the next day, and if he doesn't nap, he's a wreck for the last few hours of the day, even if he's in bed by 6. He also demands...