or Connect

Posts by reborn

I was wondering the other day what would happen if the power went out before/during labor, since I'm planning a homebirth.  Would we just use flashlights and candles? Might get awfully hot...   Hmmm.... guess I should ask my midwife about this!
Until this week, I have (surprisingly) been calmer and nicer than my normal self throughout this pregnancy.  My husband even commented in my 2nd trimester how "chill" I seemed. haha.  Well, the past week I have been a total grump monster!  I'm feeling irrational and anxious and unprepared and unsupported.  I'm very supported and (mostly) prepared, so it's totally irrational.     Trying to think about what is TRUE and POSITIVE before this baby decides to come!    
Thanks, Ladies!  These are exactly the sort of suggestions I was looking for!  Going to try to do both of them today. 
This is my first time, but I'm planning to wear a dark colored sports bra with an above-the-knee a-line drawstring skirt.  It's navy blue and kind of a lightweight sweatpants type material.  Not planning to wear underwear... if/when fluids leak, I'll be on a chux pad or towel.  My thoughts were comfort, modesty, ease of access for midwives if they need to check me, and easy to remove.  If I get in the tub, I'll just take off the skirt.   Afterward, I'm planning to...
I'm 8 days away from my EDD and just now starting to do the countdown thing (I had to check the calendar this morning to see how many days were left... as it felt like I was getting awfully close!).     This is my first baby, and hubby and I have been together for about 8 years, married for 6 (though we are only 24 & 26-- married young!).  I think part of the reason I've been in no rush for the baby to be born is, as someone else said, I'm not ready for my life to...
@DrBrockBaca-- interesting point about the gut bacteria issue.  More reasons I will def not be using vit K unless there is severe bruising/trauma evident at birth.
I'm declining the injection and I purchased oral vit K from the apothecary to have on-hand in case of severe bruising at birth.  Otherwise I don't intend to give it to our baby at all.  My midwife suspects a possible correlation between vitamin K at birth and jaundice.  She says she has never seen a baby who DIDN'T have vitamin K get jaundice. BTW, the instructions on the oral vit K for typical use say 2 drops at birth, 2 drops at 10 days, 2 drops at 4 weeks. (Given...
I'm 8 days out from my guess date for my first birth, which is a planned home birth.  I think I finally have everything in order physically-- the house is relatively clean, pantry is full, supplies are all in one place, etc.  I have done tons of reading and research and preparation throughout the pregnancy.   Now I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about how to prepare yourself mentally, spiritually, and emotionally for birth, especially your first birth,...
I'm planning a home birth.  I tested GBS positive and my midwife gave me the option of antibiotics or the internal hibiclens protocol.  The info sheet she gave me describes the protocol this way:   Use Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) vaginal wash at the onset of labor or at rupture of membranes, whichever comes first.   Method:   Fill your peribottle first almost to the top, leaving about 1/2 inch.  Add 2 Tbsp Hibiclens (4% chlorhexidine solution). You may...
      @amaayeh -- Have you read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth?  She has a lot of great stories in there about single women or women in poor relationships giving birth.  You might find them encouraging.  Ina May believes that emotional stress can actually inhibit the ability of your body to progress in labor and that those stresses need to be resolved.  Not necessarily the relationship fixed, but the mother in a healthy place emotionally.  Your body needs to know it is...