or Connect

Posts by bekahegrace

I'm surprised I haven't been able to find much on this here already. I moved to Wisconsin in September and recently found out I was pregnant. Our insurance is through MCW, so we need to use a Froedert doc/CNM. The local Bradley teacher mentioned LoryJean Kostich, but I haven't read much about her. Anyone use her and like her? Anyone have other good experiences with another CNM or natural-friendly OB? We live in Waukesha, but have no problem driving to Froedert if...
I cannot say enough good about Covenant and Kelley! The whole hospital is SO supportive of natural-birth and mom's choices, and Kelley is amazing about it all too, with great bedside manner. We recently moved out of state and I am so sad that we won't be able to use her for our other pregnancies. Both Kelley and my nurses were completely supportive of my relatively picky birth plan and didn't deviate from it once. If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'd...
My husband and I will be moving to Waukesha from out of state for a job in September, and my little guy will be turning one in October. We've been doing an alternative vaccination schedule/co-sleeping/baby-led weaning/ etc, and would love to find a pediatrician in the area that is supportive of those things. Any tips from moms who've lived or live there currently?
Hey there! I'm due any day now, and I had the same problem when looking for insurance-covered midwives. In general, it seems insurance will only cover CNMs because they practice under an OB, so they don't have to worry about legal issues, blah blah blah. I've heard quite a few people just go with a homebirth and a CPM or lay midwife, and then fight the insurance companies afterwards about getting at least part of the cost covered with some success. Sometimes they don't...
Narmowen- thanks so much for the extra information! I'm getting excited!   Zenmumajen - I looked into Jeanne Philpotts, but our insurance doesn't cover her practice. :( I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with her, though!   Thandiwe - I'll contact you again if we decide to go with a homebirth. Thanks for the name!   I'm feeling pretty good. Thanks for all the input!
Actually, scratch that last question. I just called and made an appointment and it looks like insurance won't be an issue. :)   Instead, could you let me know what your experience has been with seeing the midwives in addition to the doctors? Do you feel like you're getting enough time with them? I know you said the doctors are open to natural birthing, too, but do you ever feel like you're not getting enough time with the midwives? Do you see a significant difference...
Thanks for the information! I'd definitely be willing to travel for an environment like that! Can you tell me how your insurance handles the midwives? My insurance covers CNMs as long as they're working with an OB/Gyn. Have you had any trouble getting your insurance to cover the costs of seeing a CNM? Also, do they have you see all the doctors and both midwives so that you're comfortable with everyone when you give birth?   Thanks again!
Hello! I'm six weeks pregnant with my first baby and also new to the Flint, Michigan area. We're planning on taking Bradley classes and are very interested in a natural birth, possibly a home birth.   Does anyone have recommendations for midwives in the area and/or OB/GYNs who are open to natural birthing? I'm wanting to set up my first appointment and feel completely at a loss as to who to make it with!   Thanks!