or Connect

Posts by Brighids Flame

I had planned on doing this, but when I spoke to a local midwife a few months before TTC, she said that it seems like a lot of the vitamins/nutrients/enzymes/hormones would be lost in the dehydrating process. She said she recommends freezing it in small chunks, and blending them into fruit smoothies. Does anyone know if it's true about the dehydrating process destroying all the good stuff in the placenta? And has anyone ever tried the smoothie thing? I know I'm on-board...
I will be 12 weeks pregnant tomorrow and I keep reading about 12 weeks being a magical cutoff point where the risk of miscarriage goes way down. We were planning on waiting until 13 weeks 3 days to tell my family and maybe waiting until solidly after 14 weeks to tell the rest of the world, but now I'm not sure (the whole "when the 2nd trimester starts" thing is confusing!). The trouble is that I'm already showing, so if we decide to wait until after 13 weeks, we're...
Are you going to be doing a water exercise class that's specifically for pregnant women? There's one starting in my area in a few weeks, and I'm debating signing up for it, but I don't know if it's worth $59 for 7 classes...  
I haven't been reading much about pregnancy or birth, because lately I've been trying to keep my mind on other things so I don't stress out. I've been mostly reading for fun lately, and since our internet was down all last week I got a lot of reading done. I read the latest George R. R. Martin book, the latest Robert Jordan(/Brandon Sanderson) book, the first two books in The Book of Amber series, and The Iron Hunt, which I was meh about. Since Borders is going out of...
DH and I decided that we're going to wait until the 16 week appointment to try to hear the heartbeat. I was 10 weeks 6 days at my first midwife appointment, but we knew that there was no guarantee that we would be able to hear it, so I asked the midwife if we could wait. She offered to let us come in at 14 weeks, but I didn't see the point, since we're planning on going in at 16 weeks anyway. The midwife told me that even if something is wrong with the heartbeat, there's...
Saturday morning after I had woken up and gotten dressed, I bent over to pick a book and had a twinge of pain that started on the left side of my lower back and sort of shot down through my bum and down my leg a few inches. It twinged on and off for the rest of the day, and through Sunday, but wasn't terrible. However, Sunday night it started hurting so bad that I couldn't walk, turn, bend, or do anything except sit in certain positions, and lie down if I did it very...
Time out. 7 vials?!?! Is that if you're getting all the recommended tests done? I don't do well with blood draws. I hate needles and I have low blood pressure so it doesn't work out very well. Last time I went (pre-pregnancy, to get my rubella titers checked and a few other things) they only managed 2.5 vials before my vein collapsed and I slumped over. I don't think they can get 7 vials out of me!!!! Oh man, panicking over here now...
Most of what we have to do involves fixing up the house. We moved in 2 years ago, but we still haven't painted our (pink and green) bedroom, or the room we'll be using for the nursery. I also have to move my Montessori at-home-classroom to the largest bedroom, and fix up the bathroom in there. We should probably get the roof fixed, too. And figure out what we're going to do about the lawn. It's currently more weeds and thistles than grass, and our neighbors are starting...
Got my Non-Puker status revoked today. It's a good sign that my all-day-sickness is getting worse, right?   I had actually been doing somewhat better as far as being able to force food down. I've been having a few Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Snaps and a small bowl of blueberries just before bed and first thing in the morning. Trader Joe's sweet apple chicken sausages have been tolerable too.   I felt queasy all morning, and then I had a glass of orange juice with...