or Connect

Posts by Minalas

Excuse my spellos. I noticed there were quite a few of them in my last post.
I guess' pretend not to understand' was not the right choice of word. It's more like, you need to make clear to her, that you are to be addressed in English, because that is the 'mommy language'. So, if she addresses you in Pidgin and you are not sure, she knows the English words, translate for her and say: 'English we say:...'. But if you know, she knows the English version, insist that she use it with you. Say something like: 'How do you say that in English?', before...
I'm raising my children bilingual ( German and English) and was told the key was consistency. Children seem to attribute languages to persons rather than to situations. So I speak always German, DH always speaks English. DD(3) speaks both languages fluently and switches depending on with whom she speaks. DS (20 months) doesn't talk much yet. DD adresses strangers automatically in English, but when we went to Germany this summer she switched within a week to address...
I usually just dip the poopy diaper in the toilet and swing it around a bit. Holding on to a clean corner, I don't get my fingers dirty. But I can see, that's not everyones thing. A sprayer would be a good option, and probably cheaper than switching to disposables. There is another option. We recently adopted a dog, and if she gets hold of a poopy diaper, it's carefully licked clean. Somewhat yucky from human perspective, but doesn't seem to harm the dog.
I use charlie soap for all my laundry and love it. For diapers I usually do one cold rinse without any detergent, then I move the inserts and cotton fitted, prefolds, wash clothes etc. to my stove top in a big pot of water and bring to a boil and then I do a hot wash with one Table Spoon of Charlie Soap. I usually do not boil the outer parts of my pocket diapers, though I do so once in a while, when DS had been sick and I feel I want everything sterilized. With this...
There are three sizes in prefolds. A newborn size that is very small and thin, a medium size and a bigger size. I found the newborn size not worth its prize, because my children were fast growers and peed more than they contain. The medium size ones work great with snappy, even for tiny newborns, DD was 5lb 15 oz at birth, but they need a cover that provides good run-out protection on the legs, Thirsties worked well for us. (Woolen covers are much better for sensitive baby...
DS was a horrible sleeper during his first year of life. He'd awake, if I did so much as sneak out of bed to go to the restroom. During the day he'd only nap in his carseat, in the Ergo, or while nursing. And of course, moving him would wake him up immediately. After that first year things got much easier. He sleeps pretty well at night, except for two quick nursing bouts. It's also possible to get him out of the carseat or the Ergo without him waking up. He is 20 months...
Warm hugs patecake! Your MIL sounds rather annoying. Unfortunately, I think there is very little you can do to change her behavior. My very own mother has a nack to drive all of us but especially my SIL nuts with her comments. But there is no way to get her to understand why what she said was offensive. Not for lack of trying. She just doesn't get it. We just had to learn to put a deaf ear on inappropriate comments and focus on the positives. I know that is sometimes hard....
Hi bAbycakes I can totally feel with you. Both my children were masters of spit up. And it would never ever hit the burb cloth, no matter how I located it. My T-shirts were burbed on from the outside and leaked into from the inside, until they had two solid meals a day. - And then they learned how to smear their fingers on mommy's clothes.for some odd reason, I idn't buy a single Tshirt in the last four years.
The first time around, it was rather cheap, thin gold rings without pattern or anything, just what they had in the store. I still think I might melt in the gold at some point and create something pretty out of it. At some point in future when DD and DS give me a bit of time. The second time around we had them especially made and designed for us using some of the gold of DH previous wedding band. No stones on them. I don't like diamonds, and DH wouldn't have gone with other...