or Connect

Posts by serenetabbie

Hi all! : My 11 yo AS DS and his sister will be home all summer this year. I am looking for a hobby (or hobbies) that will get him outside, active and unplugged. ANY ideas are welcome. Due to our personal economy, summer day camp is out this year. We do not have a pool, but there is a play ground within walking distance. The kids do go there a few days a week... DS loves to swing on the swings and will usually be happy for a hour just doing that. Here are...
What a great drawing and cute video! DS was drawing very much like that and reading too at 3.5... his test scores place him at bright or moderately gifted. DD read a little tiny bit at 3.5, did not draw as well, and has not been identified as gifted.
My DD has worn glasses since she was 7.5 months old. I took her into the eye doctor's for a different reason though... she does not cry tears and I was worried. Turns out that part of her is ok; her tear ducts function, but she has a lack of reflexive tearing. That means that unless she gets poked directly in the eye she does not make any tears (even then it's only one or two). However, while we were there the dr noticed something was up with her eyesight. I was...
Quote: I wound up with lots of behavior problems and ZERO study skills. I formed a perspective of the classroom that wasn't what it should've been. I didn't have to work to get As. I didn't have to listen to get the information. I goofed off and daydreamed. I didn't have to do homework to ace the test. And that became my foundation. OMG Heather me too! Dh thinks I am crazy when I tell him that I sailed through school without doing any homework or...
You can do a google search on "Twice exceptional" and come up with a lot of good links Cascia. Here is the Hoagies' link. Here is another article.
What Em's mom said! I am in the NE too. We open the doors on both sides of the hoop houses if it is above 55 or so and raise the sides when it gets really warm.
The ones I bought are Duke, zoned for 4-7. We also have some that are supposed to go up to 8... um, I think they are Northsky. I did find this link that might be helpful though. I would try to go with the highest zone I could find (in your case a 10) just so that they are sure to survive. For example; I try to get plants that are zoned for 3 - 7 or 4 - 7, even though I am in 5 so that they will be sure to survive the winter. Make sure you buy your plants from a...
You could try one of those dial seed sowers. However- I got one one year as a gift and found it to be a bit of a pain to use... it's easier for me just to thin them after the fact or take my time and plant them like Lucy suggested. I sow the seeds, then when they sprout I just run a hard rake over the top and the tines thin out the little seedlings. One year I did not thin my carrots... I got a lot of really tiny, thin ones and a bunch of twisted roots. Lesson learned...
Hmmm... could it be sawflies? I have no idea if they eat tomatoes, but they love roses.
Wow Lanna, you sure have been busy! I can't wait to see what you put up this year I picked up two more blueberry bushes at work yesterday... they are small but LOADED with berries! I currently have one tiny one I bought bare root on sale two years ago, but the poor little thing still has not flowered. The bigger one that was here does produce, but it really needs some pollinating company to help it make more berries. Now maybe I will get some berries before the kids...