or Connect

Posts by serenetabbie

Quote: Personally I think most of them are being sheep and just going with the flow. ! They are just in the groove I guess
Water how ever you please Lindsay, I am just saying that it is generally not a great idea to wet the leaves. The leaves will not dry out if the plant is getting enough water through the root system (the plants we are talking aobut do not take in water from the leaves). I feel it is a huge waste of water since it does no good to the plant and could potentially harm it. Not all of us are lucky enough to live in a place where it is so warm and dry I am forever jealous...
That is so interesting about the sod! I had to look it up, I had never saw anything like that. Of course, I have never bought sod and have only ever been on one sod farm ever in my life (DH worked there a few years, they did not use any sort of netting for the sod squares or rolls), so really my experience is pretty limited I found a USDA report on sod grass farming, and this is what it said about the netting; Quote: Plastic Netting Sod tensile strength...
I don't know a lot of the answers to your questions... but I do have some of my own questions Yes, you can put the raised beds right on top of the sod. Just use a thick sheet mulch of something like newspaper or cardboard to kill the sod. This thin black stuff... is it like plastic-y rough weave? It's under the sod? Or is it under a spot that maybe used to be a flower bed? If it is under a flower bed spot, I would say that it is weed mat. It's a PITA IMHO and...
Quote: Make sure you get the leaves wet when you water so they don't dry out. This is actually not a great idea. It's a much better idea to water the soil and not the plant. In the sun, the beads of water can burn your plant and in the cool/dark it can help to promote disease, fungus and molds. Cheryl; Green beans, tomatoes and peppers all thrive in full sun. Make sure you are not overwatering them too! If you can stick your finger into the...
Happy Birthday MomtoS! I am on facebook... PM me if you woudl like
I'm no expert either. I will have to make a point of sniffing the boxwoods the next time I am back there !
Of course you can Katie! I am really looking forward to reading about your garden I ♥ Farmer Cathy's blog too! We did not get frost last night, but tonight feels cooler already so... we wait. I did manage to plant some bush beans and weed the asparagus though, so I feel like at least something got done in the veggie beds. I also talked DH into putting in more blueberry bushes on a small hill that currently is a very poor home to some very sad strawberries . DD and...
: Why thank you! Yes, after the last photo was taken, I added more compost and some left over mulch from the flower bed. In the fall, I raked out all the straw that I used under the pumpkins to cover the bed. This spring, I added composted horse manure and will add compost and then lawn clippings as the season goes on. I might add some wood ash, peat moss or what ever other organic materials manage to come my way. As for the soil... I think you are thinking of...