or Connect

Posts by glongley

The documentary film "Cut: Slicing Through the Myths of Circumcision" is on a cross-country tour and is coming to Boulder. The 70 minute film takes a critical look at the usually unquestioned practice of infant circumcision. The film maker, Eliyahu Ungar-Sargon, will host a panel discussion after the screening. "Cut" examines the subject of male circumcision from a religious, scientific, and ethical perspective. Using...
@Bug McGee... you are lucky to have allies in your workplace. There are a few other nurses in my unit who didn't circumcise their sons, and others who I have educated about the lack of necessity of circumcision, but no body is in the same place I am of refusing to be part of it as a matter of conscience. I think people just don't want to stick their necks out - easier to just go along and not rock the boat. Nurses are trained basically that this is something we do as...
There is a Facebook group called "Nurses Against the Circumcision of Minors" where you can post your stories, learn, and seek support. http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Nurses-Against-the-Circumcision-of-Minors/109163295802166   @Minkajane: We need more nurses and CNMs like you, who already get that circumcision is wrong! Yes, you may run up against some situations in your training or future workplace. But you will play an incredibly important role in the shift MUST...
I haven't posted here in a really long time, but happened to be browsing today, and how perfect that your post was at the top of the list! I have a similar story to tell from last Fall. Please feel free to PM me if you want to correspond more about this, as I probably won't be checking the board again. Hopefully some of my story will provide you emotional support and concrete ideas for dealing with you own situation.   I am an RN working in newborn nursery and NICU...
Not all episodes of inflammation of the foreskin are actually "infections," that is, in the sense of being caused by microbes liek bacteria or yeast. The most common cause of redness and swelling of the foreskin is probably just diaper rash, aka ammoniacal dermatitis. The diaper area in general can get red and inflamed simply from exposure to the chemical irritants in wet and poopy diapers, and the foreskin can get diaper rash on it as well. You prevent and treat this...
Quote: Originally Posted by NSmomtobe I have heard this and also that the CPS (Canadian Pediatric Society) is "re-examining the evidence" on circumcision, in light of the new information collected from the RCTs. I want to know if there is any truth to the latter rumour and if so, who I can write to to make sure that they are not going to come to the same irrational conclusions as their American...
If you can get ahold of the book "What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About CIrcumcision" by Fleiss and Hodges, they have very good verbal descriptions of the Gomco (Metal Clamp), Plastibell (Ring), and Mogen Clamp (Flat clamp, no bell) methods. The book is out of print but you can find used copies online. There are many drawings and still photos of these various methods available online if you search. For example, start here: http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/ [Go to...
Congratulations, and thanks for posting! It is encouraging to hear how this board is making a difference for baby boys! Gillian
Two things have to happen for the foreskin to become retractable. The inner foreskin layer has to separate from the glans, and the tight foreskin outlet has to become more loose and elastic. Both of these happen naturally on their own over time, with the action of hormones, as well as mechanical stretching from erections and his own explorations. These two things can happen at different rates. My older son has a foreskin opening about literally the size of a pinhead...
If the subject is going to be care of the intact penis, you have a chance to educate about the anatomy, and development, and hands off care of the intact penis (i.e. the importance of not retracting, and that the boy should be the first to retract). Make sure your talk about the foreskin as "normal," and "natural," and refer to it as an "intact" rather than an "uncircumcised" penis - all of this emphasizes that the foreskin is a NORMAL part of the body. WHen you write...