or Connect

Posts by dancinganya

If you are sure this is what you need, the confidence you have will take you a long way in weaning.  Just be honest with your toddler in a way they can understand and take away one feeding at a time.  You can take away one feeding a week, or just do it all at once if you think that your toddler can handle that.  I have been weaning for a year and a half and am finally close to done.  The biggest piece is your partner's support and your resolve that this is best for the...
Just an update from me.  I was trying to get my daughter to nap two days ago and she wouldn't and I found myself losing it because her sleep issues drive me crazy!  I decided then and there that I needed to nightwean her to get her and I sleeping better.  I started talking to her (on our way into the grocery store!) about how at nighttime she needs sleep, Mommy and Daddy need sleep, and the nipples need sleep.  We talked about it a few times that day that after nursing...
Dear filiadeluna,   First of all... your daughter is so lucky to have been able to nurse for so long.  It is not easy to keep it up this long and you should feel good that you have provided that for her for 3 years!   I am also still nuring a high needs 3 year old.  I have mostly weaned from daytime weaning (though she does still ask from time to time), but nighttime is my weakness.  I am newly pregnant and not dealing well with the lack of sleep as some nights...
My husband has been pressuring me to wean for a long time as well and my daughter is almost 3 and still nursing!  I think maybe explaining how weaning is preferrably a LONG process may help.  As they say, once you start giving your baby food, you are beginning the weaning process. Sometimes when I explain some things I am doing to wean gently, he can see that progress is being made.   My husband and I often have parenting differences. We are still working through...
My daughter is almost 3 years old and is still nursing AND is obsessed with my breasts.  It must be normal for some kids.  I do put boundaries on it when it aggravates me or doesn't feel right, but mostly I am using it in the process of trying to wean her.  The only thing that she is comforted by when I try to get her to unlatch from nursing is the idea of "snuggling with the nipple".  I actually don't let her really touch the nipple but that is just because that annoys...
Dear Sammy,   I feel you.  My daughter will be three in March and I am also looking into preschool for the first time.  I decided against Montessori for the exact reason you are struggling with... 5 days a week.  Some kids may really be ready for that and I don't think it's a bad thing, but I'll share my story which may be helpful.   I mostly want to start preschool in the fall because I think it will give my daughter something exciting to do and new friends to...
How do you reconnect with you spouse in the evenings?   My daughter recently started going to sleep at a reasonable hour (7:30-8) and my husband and I have no clue how to connect with each other during this time besides watching TV (which sometimes leads us to chat). The last week we have spent with one of us on the computer and the other reading, or one reading and the other playing Wii. I have told him that I feel like we need some type of ritual to connect with...
Wishin'&Hopin',   You are completely normal.  First of all, every child and every nursing pair is different.  My daughter is 2.5 years plus and is still nursing.  At 20 months she was nursing TONS.  We were nursing every two hours at night and various times during the day.  I was trying so hard to cut down around 2 years that she upped the amount she wanted to nurse at that point.  Once I decided to just go back to "don't offer, don't refuse", she cut it down herself...
We are not exactly nightweaned but the nights when my husband takes over more (the last two nights for example as I've been battling a rough cold), my daughter is definitely more clingy during the day.  I had tried to institute special time with her twice a day and I think it works well when I actually do it (I time it for 10 minutes and do whatever she wants and announce it as special time).  It does reduce some clingyness as she knows she has me to herself during those...
  I posted this in the toddler forum, but wondering if more appropriate here:   So my husband brings home this book from the library about polar bears and whales.  Looks harmless from the front and it's not so bad, but my daughter is only 2.5 years old and some of the content I felt was inappropriate for her.  She is very verbal and bright so perhaps the book is intended for kids more in the kindergarten range but she likes it.  Anyway, DH brought it home without...