or Connect

Posts by BeFitMom

Planks create what in fitness what is know as "abdominal bracing." You need to have an adequate amount of strength in the Transverse Abdominis to do correctly. After pregnancy, planks can be more difficult then they look and should not be done as a first rehab exercise for diastasis recti. Many pp women with DR have little to no ability to contract the Transverse Abdominis, or TvA, our body's internal "girdle." During exercises in the quadruped position, the TvA must...
Contact me thru my WS as links are not allowed on this forum. Helene, BeFit-Mom
Wearing a binder PREVENTS proper activation of the Transverse Abdominis during movement and can prevent closure of the mid line. Tuppler, a nurse by training, not a fitness pro, does not include any exercises which train the TvA to function properly as a stabilizer along with other muscles along its kinetic chain. This is key not only for diastasis rehab, but for restoration of functional core strength and stability. All external support devises inhibit muscle activation...
You raise a few different, though related issues. First, the C-flap. This might be due to adhesions, a type of scar tissue that results from surgery, which are holding your incision skin too tightly onto underlying tissue. Scar mobilization massage can be very helpful for this. Second, losing weight can improve the look of your scar. If you diminish the amount of subcutaneous (under the skin) fat, then your going to have a lot less bulk, and therefore less to hang...
While you may not be able to fully prevent a diastasis in this pregnancy, you can do exercises to strength your Transverse Abdominis, (TvA) to lessen the severity. This is our body's internal "girdle" which when contracted, compresses the abdominal wall. Abdominal compressions (Baby Hugs) which isolate and strengthen the TvA, can be done seated, standing, or side lying. Abdominal compressions with pelvic tilt (Baby Lifts), safely strengthen all four layers of the...
Every woman's belly skin is a bit looser after pregnancy. Loss of collagen due to the extreme stretching of the skin during pregnancy is real. While diet and exercise can improve appearance, creams, vitamins, special foods, etc. will not return skin to it's pre-pregnancy elasticity. Retin-A products and some laser therapies can induce skin to build more collagen, resulting some improvement. As in all things, if it sounds to good to be true, than it isn't. BeFit-Mom
Build core strength.  When you run, keep your "internal girdle" slightly tight. In the mean time, if the only way you can run comfortably is when wearing an abdominal binder, then wear it. But try to pull your tummy away from the binder when you run, rather than relaxing your abs, and allowing your tummy to rest against the support garment. This way you'll build some functional core strength as you get your cardio workout.
Buy a few items that flatter your current body. Don't get hung up on the size, it's only a number. When you wear clothes with a good fit, you look good, no matter what your shape and size. BeFit-Mom
To repair diastasis recti after pregnancy, you need to build A LOT of strength back into your deepest abdominal muscle, your Transverse Abdominis, or TvA. When contracted, the TvA compresses the abdomen. (The TvA does not move bone.) Then after this muscle has regained adequate strength, you need to do specialized postnatal rehab exercises that train the muscle to function properly as a stabilizer. This step is critical for closing the mid line and flattening the abdomen...
Taking care of a new born is a fairly sedentary lifestyle, especially if you don't have help. So to speed postpartum weight lose, you'll need to eat great; a high quality diet in the correct amount, as well as exercise at home. Because I am a producer of a postpartum DVD, I'm not allowed on this forum to recommend it to you. But if you Google my screen name, you can find it easily. I suggest that you get several DVDs. A few that focus on aerobic exercise (low impact)...