or Connect

Posts by beth568

Oh, you poor thing. You have my sympathy - my DD1 was exactly like that. I can't tell you how many nights I spent trying to settle her down to sleep while I lay next to her on her bed, staring at the ceiling, at midnight, feeling desperate and frustrated. Dropping the naps was the only thing that worked for us, and it was like flipping a switch. I heartily agree with the PP who suggested that it might make sense for your DH to try to find some daytime help to get...
I vacillate between being heartbroken that my babies aren't babies any more, and noticing something interesting and independent that my 4 year old does and thinking, "Wow! What a privilege to watch this person develop." My 14 month old is going to be smushed from all the squeezes she gets from me. I just want to savor every last little drop of baby cuddling, because I know it won't last forever. Quote: And ds2 does this really dreamy thing of laying his...
Quote: I just tell her that I highly doubt my 40 year old son will be nursing to sleep in my bed. Anyway, I know my MIL feels the same way about the family bed, and disagrees with me about many other parenting choices. I've given up trying to discuss them with her, and I also no longer worry about offending her - when she brings things up, I either walk away from the conversation or simply tell her that I appreciate her input, and...
I'm willing to bet that she will handle it beautifully and will be fine. I left my DD overnight for the first time when she was a couple of weeks short of 2. I didn't sleep at all that night away, but she woke only once, for about 5 minutes, and asked for me. Daddy told her that I'd be back during the day, and she rolled right over and went back to sleep (something she'd never done with me there). Kids are pretty adaptable, and at 2, she can understand a bit about...
My DD2 did that for a while as a newborn...don't worry, though, she now gets up several times a night! Seriously, it's not all that unusual. As long as he's nursing OK during the day, and having wet diapers, that's fine. I think the whole "wake to feed" thing is really only something to worry about for the first 2 weeks or so; after that, if the baby is gaining well, you can let them go for longer stretches. Isn't it funny - when you finally have the chance to...
I sleep in another room with the sick kid, as my DD won't stand for sleeping alone any time, especially when she's not feeling well. I figure I'm going to be exposed to whatever she has anyway.
I lurk on another SID parenting board and lots of people there are talking about melatonin helping their "difficult" sleepers. My 4 year old DD takes a LONG time to settle down to sleep most nights, even after very active days. And she's easily awakened at night, and then has trouble settling back down. We're all pretty tired here. Has anyone used melatonin supplements? I'm wary of giving her anything - OTOH, if it will help, I'll try it.
Yes and no. I agree that many people have separate rooms/beds for their kids, but allow the children to sneak into the parents' bed if they wake at night. I don't think those people would identify themselves as cosleepers, though, and they probably don't feel particularly strongly about it. i do think it's pretty unusual for people to cosleep with infants, because of the fear that so many "experts" generate about it.
My 10 month old now starts out the night in her crib. She took two bad falls off the bed despite all kinds of barriers and a baby monitor and I gave up on the mattress on the floor, because she got off, crawled to the door, played with it and pinched her fingers. I wasn't going to risk any more injury. So she has spent more time in the crib in the past few weeks than she did for the first 9 months of her life!
For dinner time, etc, I'd either sling him or gate off a baby-safe area on the floor. For bed time, I've started putting my 10 month old in her crib to start out the night. She goes to sleep at around 8:30, and she has had two unpleasant falls off the bed. I won't leave her asleep on the floor, or on a mattress on the floor, because even though she doesn't fall, she will get off and crawl around if she wakes up, and I think I've babyproofed reasonably well, but who...