or Connect

Posts by Jane93

You know -- actually ousting incompetent and dangerous practioners is good for a profession not bad for it.    It is pretty clear that these midwives (who per other sources allegedly let this women labor for 8 days, didn't take her in to the hospital despite mec. stained waters and didn't even have an aspirator in their equipment bags) are not the sort who the "movement" should be defending.
Thought of one more:   (11)  Is she able to suture?  Seems like a number of the homebirth moms on the birth boards here have had post-partum issues with tears not being appropriately repaired.   I would also suggest you read the recent guest post on the Navel Gazing Midwife's Blog -- the guest poster outlines an important issue with selecting midwifery care.  The issue is to what extent are certain services not offered (like antibiotics for GBS or suturing for...
Questions I would ask:   (1) List of degrees and certifications.  For example, is the practitioner certified in NPR?  Not only is she currently certified, but how many times has she actually performed the neonatal res. in an urgent situation?  Experience being, of course, different than book learning alone.   (2) Status of licensure.  Is she legal or illegal in her state?  Don't let her escape into some sort of alegal claim (alegal is illegal).  Has she had her...
If she wll watch older movies, there is a ton of light-hearted stuff (but not babyish) that would work:   Bringing Up Baby with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn is a fabulous light-hearted screwball comedy. The Court Jester with Danny Kaye Singing in the Rain All the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers stuff would be great ]] The Music Man   Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is also a lot of fun, but that might be a little too intense (the abduction scene might be a...
Gena -- can you dispute that it is in the best economic interest of midwives to broaden the scope of their practice as much as possible?   The pool of women willing to even contemplate homebirth is so small.  I can see where there might be an monetary motive to keep homebirth interested women in the pool of potential clients even though their pregnancy contains factors that make a homebirth ill advised.    Also, if a midwife is unlicensed isn't is true that she has...
Isn't it also true that we don't have accurate information about CPM attended births in the State of Oregon because the State Board of Midwifery (headed by Melissa Cheyney) has failed require such data be provided to it EVEN THOUGH the State Board is required by state statute to obtain such data?  
"You will note that both the 1989 and 2003 forms have the category OTHER MIDWIFE.  There is no category for a CPM.  But here's the important part: The OTHER category on both forms has the words "please specify."    There is room, in other words, to specify CPM.  And apparently, nobody did, or we'd have some concrete data on CPM outcomes."   Turquesa -- isn't the REAL reason we don't have concrete data on CPM outcomes is that MANA refuses to release data on the...
Dear Jessica --   Just following up as I think my prior response was eaten in moderation.  Thank you so much for your thoughtful, thorough advice.   We have continued to use removal consistently with E -- and she has not bitten or tried to bite her sister for two weeks now.  This is a huge improvement!    Interestingly enough, while E's biting was being eliminated, L started picking up the bad habit.  For some strange reason she's a really ineffective biter...
Sorry for the serial posting -- can't seem to edit earlier posts!  Also, if you like Tamora Pierce, Diana Wynne Jones is great.   Jones has a number of good books out there - she might also be familiar to some as the writer of the book that was the basis for the movie "Howl's Moving Castle".   I do think that many of Pierce's and Jones' books are verging on YA so they might be better a little later or they may work since you are looking for read aloud stuff.   
Also -- maybe Hilaire Belloc for beautiful, non-depressing words -- The Bad Child's Book of Beasts is great.