or Connect

Posts by Jane93

Also, since no one has mentioned it yet -- if you and your daughter have a love of language, I think poetry would be wonderful.   I, personally, have always hated every word written by Shel Silverstein, but there are tons of options for kids beyond his work.   For my girls, I already have some books tucked away for when they are your daughters age.  I have a great book called "A Child's Introduction to Poetry" by Michael Driscoll -- talks about styles and forms...
OP -- I think your post is a very natural outcome of considering embarking on a career in which you hold the lives of women and babies in your hands.  That is a tremendous responsibility and any provider who can take that on without experiencing serious anxiety and concern for being the "best she can be" is not a provider that should be in business.    Have you checked out the Navel Gazing Midwife's blog?  It might be of interest to you as the blog of a long time...
Oh and Tuck Everlasting might be good.
I'm trying to think of more "fun" types of books or classics with appealing language:   Pushcart War   Pippi Longstocking   Wind in the Willows (fantastical, but not of the Harry Potter type of Sci Fi/Fantasy)   Phantom Tollbooth (also fantastical, but not Harry Potter style)   From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler   Thimble Summer   All of a Kind Family (though this is part of a series)   Betsy-Tacy (also one of a series...
Hi All --   I have twin girls and was planning on getting them started on their first baby dolls soon.  I was going to give one of them my favorite dolly from when I was little (she is in great shape) and I had found and purchased off of e-bay the same doll in "new" condition for my other daughter.   However...when my mom dropped off my doll and I put the two dolls side by side, I realized that though they were the same doll -- they were different sizes.  This...
Dear Jessica --   Thank you so much for your thoughtful, thorough reply!  Lots to think over.    We will definitely continue with the separation when biting occurs (reformulated from a "time out")  and I am relieved that we were on the right track with that.  I also appreciate your thoughts about how to help E with her emotions around the "no" (especially laid out so very clearly).  I was feeling very guilty that I was having such a hard time effectively...
Also -- Three Lives for Thomasina is very good (sad, but good).
I totally agree with the "Anne of Green Gables" recommendation -- they did a great adaptation in the (I think) late 80s.   Something that might be fun if she likes history is the 80's show "Voyagers!" -- about a young boy and a man who travel through time, fixing history that has gone wrong.  I remember loving it as a kid, though I'm sure some of the special effects are looking a little dated now.   If she likes Little House on the Prairie, that makes me think of...
I would also question the idea that the war in the pacific was somehow not as bad.  The Rape of Manila, the Rape of Nanking, the Bataan Death March...Japanese soldiers burning alive American POWs...     I'm coming back to Hogan's Heroes for the 3-5 yo set!  You have the bonus of lots of episodes so it works better than a movie. 
WWII movies for 3 and 5 is a pretty big challenge!   I'm coming up with things along the lines of "Hogan's Heroes" or "South Pacific" or Cary Grant in his pink submarine in "Operation Petticoat".   "Hope and Glory" is actually a pretty light film about a young boy growing up in London during the Blitz and I recall it being very enjoyable.   If the interest is in fighter pilots --   There is "Battle of Britain" from 1969 -- lots of air battle scenes, but...