or Connect

Posts by Jane93

Perhaps a discussion for another thread, but very interesting anyway!    I think we have all had the experience where we have accidentally inhaled something we were eating or drinking, so obviously this is not a fool proof mechanism.  In fact, there is something called "aspiration pneumonia" which may occur when food or drink enters the lungs.    I suppose an appropriate inquiry would be whether researchers have seen an increase in aspiration pneumonia in...
Here is one example of the description I am talking about:   Amniotic Fluid. The developing fetus practices breathing activities beginning in the fourth month of pregnancy. During these fetal breathing exercises, amniotic fluid washes in and out of the fetus' respiratory tract. Cells from the fetal respiratory system are carried out into the amniotic fluid, which can be analyzed to tell the maturity of the fetus' lungs if necessary. The fetus drinks the amniotic...
Hi Jaimee --   Per this article from the Journal of Perinatology (http://www.nature.com/jp/journal/v25/n5/full/7211290a.html ):   "Removal of AF (amniotic fluid) is predominately accomplished by fetal swallowing (200 to 250 ml/kg fetal weight/day)."   I have seen several references in fetal development websites to the fact that the fetus inhales amniotic fluid during practice breathing, but nothing in a journal article yet.    However, given what I have...
Jaimee --   I am not aware of any biological mechanism that would inherently prevent a baby from inhaling water during a water birth.   I understand that infants in the womb frequently "practice breathe" with the amniotic fluid which to me indicates that such a mechanism does not exist.    
Actually -- I misremembered and its in Personal Growth -- Life After Waldorf -- A Support Group and was started by beansavi.
FYI -- Life After Waldorf can be found in the TAO subforum -- it was moved there from this subforum when this subforum was more hardcore Waldorf and Waldorf questioning, etc. couldn't co-exist peacefully here.  I don't know how active that thread is anymore, but it was very active at one point and does give a pretty good idea of the range of issues some parents have experienced with the Waldorf system.
"You mentioned Catholic schools - you know that religion will be taught from a Catholic perspective before you enrol - no surprises."    I think most Catholic educators would say that not only is religion taught from a Catholic perspective, but that the entire educational system is based on a Catholic perspective, that English, math, science, extra-curriculars, etc. are all coming from a Catholic-centered foundation.   The purpose of this is to raise adults that are...
The NRP is laid out in detail on the AAP website -- unfortunately, I don't have time to review right now, but maybe someone else does.    Looking at the AAP website on this issue raises an interesting question -- it might be worthwhile to ask midwives you are interviewing whether they have passed the NRP evaluation/test (available online!).  Though the test materials themselves acknowledge that passing the test alone does not mean competence at the NRP skills, it might...
"Especially when that argument is being propped up by nonsensical justifications like the idea that receiving oxygen and appropriate neonatal resuscitation with the cord intact is somehow riskier than being whisked away to receive oxygen and appropriate neonatal resuscitation with the cord cut. ( )   Even if you think that extra minute or two of oxygenated blood (meaning red blood cells...that are carrying oxygen....which is exactly what we're trying to get into the baby...
From wikipedia, its Bruno Bettelheim (who's a bit controversial):   Among numerous other works, Bruno Bettelheim wrote The Uses of Enchantment, published in 1976. In this book he analyzed fairy tales in terms of Freudian psychology. The book won the U.S. Critic's Choice Prize for criticism in 1976 and the National Book Award in the category of Contemporary Thought in 1977. Bettelheim discussed the emotional and symbolic importance of fairy tales for children,...