or Connect

Posts by Jane93

You know, as to fault, I think it is legitimate to consider whether the midwife was negligent in attending a breech homebirth at all.  In other words, is the fact she was willing to attend that birth mean that her practices are too loosey goosey for you right off the top?   I know that is not a popular position around here, but any safety claims made about homebirth (if you accept their validity) are based on a "low risk" pregnancy, and I do not believe that a breech...
Also, having been sick in a foreign country (Greece), there is a lot of apprehension around having medical procedures performed in a way that (though competent) may deviate from what you're used to.  My mom hated that my doctor gave me an injection without wearing gloves (even though the doctor pointed out that the gloves were more protection for him than me).    I'm sure that most adoptive parents would rather their kids get injected in a nice pediatrician's office...
Way to make the perfect the enemy of the good.   Better record-keeping and availability of injection supplies are very important, and yes the WHO and other concerned organizations should be (and I assume are) working on these issues.  This doesn't mean that vaccinations (like the measles vaccination) are not life-saving in the third world and should not be performed.   It would also be great if these children had sure access to clean water and many of the other...
Hi OP -   From your original post it wasn't clear to me if you are also breech.  However, if you are or have a high likelihood of having a breech baby (from some reading I have been doing, breech does seem to run in some families), I woud be asking some serious questions about how she is topping off her skill set in the intervening time.    Even if her performance was *perfect* in the prior breech birth, I would have serious concerns about the mindset of someone...
I would also ask why she feels she doesn't need a "break" from practice or some time to recover for the experience.   For example, with the case of Karen Carr, she had a baby death in September of 2010, a major morbidity in October of 2010, and then another baby death (trapped head/breech birth) in December of 2010 (the birth on which she was convicted of 2 felonies).  I do think her outcomes would have been different if she had paused in September of 2010 and maybe...
We have been feeding our daughters edamame and then also adding some soy to certain dishes (like pasta sauce) to boost protein.  However, I'm starting to wonder if we're giving them too much.   What are other people's comfort levels around soy?
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions on snack ideas!  I do admit to getting in a rut with their food (and worry about it being too fruit heavy -- we joke about the girls being dairaholics and fruitiarians)  so its always nice to think about how to mix things up. 
Just wondering what people's thoughts were on frequency/necessity of snacking for toddlers.  I have 14 month old twins.  They are very good eaters, and we have been doing a breakfast (around 7), a lunch (around 11:30), a glass of milk (around 2:00) and dinner around 5:30.   However, an experienced mom friend was saying that she thought the girls would be happier with a small snack morning and afternoon (total of 5 meals a day).  I've been pretty anti-snack so far. ...
Threatening letter from a lawyer!
One of the other posters brings up an additional good point (beyond the financial) -- does your SO's condition have a strong genetic link?  If so, is that something you are comfortable potentially passing on to your children?   My DH and I discussed our finances in detail before marriage, but also discussed family health histories too (he has close family members with Crohn's and certain related illness, my family has scoliosis and high blood pressure), we both...