or Connect

Posts by FarmerBeth

Perhaps if he goes to the other school you could agree to just a trial period there.  Having done this work myself, I know how both the school and the child you work with are a pretty big part of how much you enjoy the job.  For me, the school usually trumped the child as it affects your overall social atmosphere, but you don't know if you don't try it.  "Facility" type structures can be a lot warmer than the term implies, and how they feel depends more upon the staff...
Linda, this is wonderful news for you!  I'm sure you will be of such help in your new job.  I can tell from your posts that you are such and understanding person.  
I'm firmly in favour of going with what your daughter is comfortable with.  It's hard enough to be a teenager without adding feeling more uncomfortable about your body.  If it helps her feel confident, then OK.  I don't think going by age works because we all physically and socially mature at different rates.  My 11 year old (she's growing fast) doesn't shave legs but does armpits because she finds the hair a nuisance for sports.  At least she's active.  I can't go by...
I can't help thinking of Michael Moore's documentary "Bowling for Columbine" when reading moominmama's posts.  While Michael Moore has tendencies towards presenting just his particular agenda, I always thought that documentary was on to something exploring how a nation responds to feeling a sense of fear and how that in turn can lead to more gun violence.  There are no shortage of guns in Canada, but there is a difference in how fearful we are of violence.  A scared,...
Our experience with a developmental ped was that they asked for the school evaluation as a way to get more info from more than one source, not so much as to leave the matter alone from there. I would follow up with the pediatrician about when to check in and review the school assessment together and make it clear that you are paying to find out beyond what the school can say. We had the best luck when all evaluators worked together.
      Our son was in a similar situation your daughter's age and running really brought along physical skills and gave him a chance to gradually become sociable.  Just because the swimming is not a good idea right now, don't give up on it forever.  My youngest child had a severe aversion to water (he was nearly three before we even managed a traditional bath) and at eight he loves swimming, now.  Come back to it off and on gradually, with lots of chances to play with...
My 6th grader attended the parent teacher conference this year at the teacher's request.  It was good he came because what ended up happening was that he had it out with the teacher about his beefs and I was there to moderate.  It's sounds terrible, but actually it really did help.  He felt safe to talk about how class was going because I was there and the teacher was able to both touch bases with me and talk to my son about expectations, comfortable that the parent was...
I've just gone back to school in a male dominated field (environmental engineering for the natural resource sector).  I really agree with the above about women typically male fields needing a comfort level with sports and traditionally "male" topics.  I'm grateful for having an involved father who always included me in what he found interesting.    I think that even though the OP was specifically asking about skills specifically about the upper and upper-middle...
My sensitive oldest child was the one who helped me slaughter the turkeys last week and I was so grateful.  I love the animals I raise and that's why in the end I have chosen not to be taking part in industrial food.  When I look at where I live, and what goes into large scale farming of even vegetables, the vegetarian option doesn't make sense in terms of fossil fuels or habitat loss for animals.  But just because my brain came to that conclusion doesn't make it feel...
I don't really know any stats on this.  What I do know is that frequently on the boards and in real life, people will say (especially those who work in psychology, oddly) that they can find autism spectrum disorders, including Asperger's, on a regular screening.  One professional on these boards even suggested that getting evaluations from specialized professionals in the autism field wasn't necessary because a regular developmental pediatrician would pick it up.  I'm...