or Connect

Posts by FarmerBeth

Like Laughing Hyena, our kids used Scratch this last year (the youngest child was 8) and my older kids used a modified game creation program my husband made for them when they were 5 and 6 respectively.  Nobody is obsessed (even my obsession prone kid on the autistic spectrum) and my own DH learned to program on a Commodore 64 at about age 7. While he likes computers, he is not obsessed.  He did end up working as a computer engineer, and just as happily changed careers...
Only replying because I did work with a child with a mitochondrial disorder and symptoms were similar including no symptoms until age 2.  The thing is, it could be lots of other things, too.  You could request a test for  mitochondrial disorder.  the child I knew had a muscle biopsy done to confirm.  
I had a lot of success with finding related topics to the special topic.  For example, right now DS is extremely into waterfowl.  So then I mentioned a new duck sanctuary that there are plans on opening and what plans the community had on having a wildlife park.  That tied into a local college program and a little about town planning in general.  So in the end, I got a little break from hearing just about ducks and we got into more of a general discussion on the...
I worried about the same thing with my ASD son at age 11 last year.  Fortunately, right around when I was worrying that he should figure it out soon so to avoid teasing, my 10 year old (no special needs) asked me in front of him but not the youngest, so I had a reason to broach  it.  I just explained how Santa was actually really me carrying on the tradition of Saint Nicholas.  I was scared he'd feel betrayed because he's really literal about truth, but he was able to...
Our son had a similar background (including that we also pulled him out of kindergarten to home school due to anxiety  as well).  He also has tics like your son, and a previous diagnoses of ADHD, although he now has an Asperger's diagnoses and it's felt the attentional symptoms were more related to the anxiety than the ADHD in his case (he has no current symptoms of ADHD with anxiety treatment only, previous ADHD meds still left him with attentional symptoms).  Anyhow,...
We have a duper huntress that actually adjusted fine to staying indoors (although she still has mice to hunt as it's an old farmhouse we live in, and she does her job well).  If there's no way your cat can be an indoor cat, maybe a good bell like the above poster mentioned to reduce killing birds.  
I'd re-heat the applesauce and then can it.  Kind of a pain in the neck, but technically the safe way to do it, just in case.  
Very cute pics.  Sounds like a lot of work catching the bunnies.  
I don't have kids in your son's shoes although I personally was in similar shoes but at an older age (16 by the time I had opportunities to play in big orchestras, so certainly more time to grow than a 13 year old).  Kids who are very talented at a young age (I've seen this a lot in the sports world, too) sometimes miss out on the just kidding around stage but it still has to happen sooner or later.  Everyone needs to learn to just hang out with friends, "waste" time,...
I've never censored books, even though DD was reading chapter books before school started.  I do sometimes read the same book around the same time (sometimes just after) to know where the questions are coming from.  My kids usually quickly recognize if they are uncomfortable with subject matter in books and just don't read it.  What I actually did sensor when they were little was news - papers, radio and on TV.  Sometimes the news gives an impression that only bad stuff...