or Connect

Posts by FarmerBeth

The agricultural exhibition is tomorrow.  DS (12) and DD(10) are showing sheep and on the tug of war team.  They've really been working hard this summer.  My younger DS (8) has been biking and gardening like crazy and they all have a "cabin building" competition on the go.  I'm glad we don't have a shortage of wood or space.  They've been able to go all out with this building thing.
My oldest son (12) has Asperger's, and we've had some wild variances from one IQ test compared to the other in the past years.  If the teacher isn't noticing auditory comprehension issues in class, I wouldn't over-think it, because there is the possibility that with your son being on the spectrum, if he had an "off" day, it would probably show on something very sensory processing oriented, and auditory comprehension can be.  Just my opinion.  You could always do a...
I had to do away with an egg eating chicken.  I used the head chopped off method because I was so worried about messing up with the "professional" way to do it.  It was quick and I think pretty hard to mess up.  I used an article from "Backwoods Home" I think, to get myself ready for it.   Is there anyone in your area who would take a free rooster or drake?  Around here on Kijiji (Canadian version of Craig's list), there are a surprising number of people who would...
I think the signing would be just like any child in a bi-lingual house: the words in both languages (spoken and sign) would come along in a parallel manner, not hinder each other.  My youngest had an extreme expressive language delay with auditory and phonetic processing issues.  Like the OP, he had plenty of desire to communicate but the words came out very scrambled and hard to understand.  We didn't use formal ASL (although I was familiar with the modified used in...
His Dark Materials Series (Philip Pullman) was a big hit with mine around that age, although it might be too scary for some kids, I'd consider it a read together sort of book.  Also the Dark is Rising series (Susan Cooper).  Lighter but fun_ "Moongobble and Me" and rest of series, "How to Tame a Dragon" and "Spiderwick".  Right now my oldest (12, also 2E with Asperger's) is reading the Magic Thief series by Sarah Prineas - this would be totally on par with the level of a...
(my bold)  That really could be a transitory tic.  They're pretty common on especially boys aged 7-12.  The doctor can't tell for sure if he'll grow out of it because a lot of re-wiring of the brain happens after age 12 or around puberty.  There is medication for non-repetitive tics like a head shake, although they are recommended for a long term problem.  You'd usually have to see this for at several months(6 or more) or sometimes a couple of years before a decision...

We did have bunnies and chickens share an outside yard (but different sleeping quarters) for a while so maybe it's OK with ducks?  
DD (10) is in full swing for the riding show season and I think I'm the one that's more tired.  But I'm very proud of her hard work and she has some ribbons on the wall to show.  She went into business with two friends making pet treats for farmer's market, the farm supply stores, horse stables and a few of the local tourist hot spots.  And she's very busy with the 4-H projects for the fall fair.  Very busy girl.   DS (12) also has a summer business and he is making...
I think it might depend on what is primary and what is secondary.  Uncontrolled ADHD can lead to anxiety, and so sometimes treating the ADHD is enough.  I've seen this work with some kids I've worked with.  However, there are some kids, like my son, where this doesn't work.  We treated for ADHD first, with more than one type of medication tried, with the initial assumption that the anxiety caused the ADHD.  We had only one med that helped with the anxiety somewhat, which...