or Connect

Posts by FarmerBeth

My oldest has HFA/Asperger's and we had our second child when he was 18 months and the 3rd at 4 years.  We had no idea there was an issue at 18 months, and at four years he just seemed extremely difficult to transition and had a tic disorder.  Anyhow, while sometimes I had a low amount of time for my middle child, she has turned out to be the most terrific young person, great in school and sports and a good friend, too.  The teachers say that she is a real leader when it...
Second the seaweed (I usually use it as mulch on the gardening off season and then compost what the garden didn't eat).  Compost tea and comfrey tea (decompose comfrey leaves in a black bag then mix with water).  And of course any compost of veggie scraps, egg shells and animal manures (we have chickens).  Chicken manure will turn to compost faster if the chickens have wood shaving or sawdust bedding or you layer a wood product over it in the compost pile.  My layered,...
Do you still have somewhere to bring the food for municipal pick-up?  We compost veggie scraps and here we have permission to put meat in the actual garbage (precisely because it's bear country).  The only hard thing is that garbage pick-up is every two weeks, here, so sometimes I have to store meat scraps in the fridge or freezer so as not to attract insects.  If there's a lot to deal with (right now we have been producing an unending supply of lobster shell) I get my...
I'm afraid I have no advice, although if it's getting fat maybe its beak will be good enough for foraging, too.  Picking up tiny grains has it's own difficulties, and bugs and dandelion green and the like are pretty big.  Hope it works out for chicky.  
It's scripted, but teaching your son to ask what he doesn't notice can be a good skill, and one I personally use myself.  As in "Excuse me pleas" and wait for a response, or "Is this a good time?' or "Sorry, did you mean to say something?"  I've had to do this sort of thing a lot of my life, and taught my son to over time.  He gets labeled as odd but very polite, which might get notice but at least some of it is positive.  I've had years of people apologetically telling...
Have been there!  My son first had trichotillomania at age 4.  We started with a "probable" ADHD diagnoses at 4, positive diagnoses (at the time) of ADHD, anxiety and NVLD with unspecified tic disorder at age 7, with a possible Tourettes being on the look-out.  Last year, at age 11, he had an ASD diagnoses, Asperger's type.    We have had about 2 years without the hair pulling in particular, although we also have issues with skin picking more recently.  The main...
Not specific to ASD, but along the lines of learned versus genetic behavior, organizational skills are hard for parents with ADHD, and in some ways with NVLD or spectrum disorders to teach to kids.  DH has severe attentional problems and I have the typical NVLD problem of hyper focusing and not switching attention easily (pretty common with ASD, too) as well as some weird ways of physically organizing stuff (it's organized but not good decorating, rooms that have to look...
Just wanted to brag to someone who has been there.  Even last year, my son couldn't even think of anyone he'd want to invite over or of a single person he liked or was friends with.  He actually decided he wanted a birthday party and had four kids over (although two were siblings of closer friends) and everyone had fun eating pizza and having water fights.  I'm so happy he's found some people with common interests that he enjoys time with and that enjoy him .  Everyone...
It's around that time that a lot of the farmer's markets are up and running for the season.  What are some of you working on and selling?  I've got baby greens, fiber art and wild flower bouquets on the go.  How about the rest of you?
I am so sorry you are having such a rough time with this evaluator.  I had difficulty with the first pediatrician we had evaluate my son (she assumed it his behavior was caused by my husband, as the stay at home Dad, being a poor parent but never met him).  I went back to the GP about it and she decided we were best to go straight to a child psychiatrist, as he didn't have any delays that weren't social.  For us it worked, even though we didn't get to the diagnoses we...