or Connect

Posts by FarmerBeth

I actually think he has an OK start for age 11 in that he's he's bringing in the wood (if wood is your primary heat like us, that can be a sizable chore),feeding chickens and the dishwasher emptying.  You can probably bring it up from here without much trouble.  I think on top of a good schedule on the fridge (our household uses Linda's suggestion, too), be specific as to what needs to be done and what a good job looks like.  I used to have trouble with my kids doing...
My youngest has an expressive language disorder and persisted with jargon to a late age, and still uses it with pretend play when by himself.  The amount of jargon in a social setting decreased with speech therapy.  I would say it's from the language delay.  The better my son got with word retrieval, the less jargon used.  I would suggest you get further assessments to assure the delays are entirely rooted in motor planning issues.  Our son was late in having other...
I think therapy is a good idea.  Jumping to conclusions about oppositional defiant disorder maybe not.  This type of behavior sometimes can happen when kids have discouraged about themselves or about their relationship in the family.  Kind of a self sabotaging behavior, like when adults have a new job or date that seems to go well and screw it up for some reason.  Sure, she could have a disorder, but maybe you need some time to work on the relationship just because of...
We're really pescatarian rather than vegetarian (eat fish).  We briefly tried the whole traditional diet thing(got into it when kids were in Waldorf) but it just left me feeling icky and the child who was a preschooler eating that way (the older two were vegetarian for the most part) had an equal number of cavities to the vegetarian middle child (the oldest is blessed with great teeth -no issues at all).  I think if you are having fish and/or milk products, adequate...
Here in Canada, cob homes are becoming popular in coastal BC (pacific coastal climate,USDA zones 7-9, there's actually some guy growing bananas there).  Here in Nova Scotia it's also mild for Canada, but we're not quite that warm, or more accurately, we have some of the warmest temperatures but it is so damp and windy it can feel colder.  Now I'm curious if it could work here because England's climate is very similar.  Maybe some time I'll test with a smaller building. ...
Neat photos!  can't wait to see it complete!.  I've thought of this for a livestock shelter.
Chickens and kids get along great!  I do suggest a calmer breed (one of the older, larger ones like Sussexes, Dorkings, etc) rather than flightier hybrid layers.  Also, the kids would probably take to the colorful feathers typical of older breeds.  Handle the chickens a lot from the beginning so that they will be calm with the kids.  I don't have specific suggestions on the coop except that ideally you'd want the laying boxes in an easy access location (like they open to...
We'll be looking at a half hour drive come grade 9 to get them to the bus that then takes them to school, but we can work that into our commute many days.  That can make a big difference.  Another factor is how close your schools are.  Being in a rural area, it is not uncommon for some families to be an hour from the closest school, so in some cases we do have parents that drive over an hour to get to a preferred school.  I try to do as much within my community and with...
You might be able to get some specific help with tics even if it's under an anxiety label (you did identify that he had past trouble with anxiety before age 7).  We're in a different country, so services may not be the same, but personally a diagnoses of GAD was enough to access services for tics as transient tics are common (especially with boys) if they have an anxiety disorder.  Further looking into the possibility of OCD would help, too.   Three years ago for...
Here in Nova Scotia, all students from grades one and up have communication books that function much like a teacher led day planner.  In the younger grades, the teacher writes what assignments are due to be passed in the next day, what long term assignments are to be worked on and any messages to parents necessary, such as "trip money" due or "notice to read".  As a teacher's aide and mother of a 2E kid, I do see that many kids with slow handwriting have difficulties...