or Connect

Posts by FarmerBeth

These are pretty familiar tics to me, my 11 year old (ASD, OCD, anxiety) has had all of these at some point.  Transient tics from anxiety are pretty common in this age group if there have been any increases in stress.  I second looking into PANDAS, although seeing as you have had difficulties with tics and sensory issues in the past and not a sudden onset, it may not be as likely.  In your shoes, I'd probably want a total re-evaluation by a neuro-pediatrician or...
Welcome back!   Sensory diet is looking at what kinds of sensory needs your son has and finding a way to apply them.  It could be tactile, like needing heavy clothing or blankets, a soft toy or something to fidget with, or it could be providing quiet or certain kinds of background noise, or getting certain types of movement, like swings or being in water, etc.  It's really individual.  The entire process was really helpful to us, even though, since my son was...
I don't think there are disadvantages specific to AP so much as disadvantages that can come when people put themselves in a "camp" or group rather than looking at things for their individual merit.  For example, there's nothing that says that someone who is AP has to home school, or go to a Waldorf school, or has to use a naturopath rather than an MD, but some people find that being part of an AP group of parents also means that they are part of a homeschooling group...
Hooray for that first job!  Mauimama, that's wonderful that he's working in a field he has a real interest in.   I came back from the IPP meeting for my 11 year old (ASD, anxiety) and had the great experience of hearing mostly great stuff.  We were able to remove all the academic adaptations because he hasn't needed them with his anxiety under such good control (we earlier had to allow extra time and alternative setting for testing, but it turned out that with the...
I think another thing that can make a difference is whether, at this transitional kind of age of 10, you experience the media with your child.  We definitely allow our older children to read pretty much anything we would, but we read it ourselves as well, and we discuss what we've read.  I think the OP's plan to have her child read the books first is a good one not just so that she can feel out where her child is at, but also to give herself time to familiarize herself...
I'd try a little of both seeds and transplants.  Radishes are very easy to grow just about anywhere.  When my kids were little and I was short on gardening time, I always liked salad greens (like lettuces) and radishes to see quick results.  Transplanted tomatoes are very easy if you get them started from the greenhouse as tomatoes have few pests.  Peppers are also easy and fun.  Strawberries bought at the point they are already producing berries give some instant...
  I think the OP is very right in this.  Nobody should have to deal with a situation that makes them miserable for a third of their life (which is close to what school and work amount to).  Getting evaluation and help for the anxiety and sensory issues and finding the best fit at school is so important.  I think it's great that you re trying an alternative setting for school and seeking therapy for the anxiety.  Sucking it up doesn't work for adults, either, it's a great...
Another muscovy owner piping in: Mine also hunt rodents.  There was also an interesting study here in Canada (forget which university) showing that muscovy ducks are more effective than fly tape at controlling flies in dairy cattle barns - don't know, but they sure do eat a lot of insects.  Mine don't go in the barn unless I put them in, act unafraid and allow cuddling but seem more wild thn other duck breeds we've had (malllards and Indian runners).  Mine share housing...
Great fun.  I'm planting cherry trees and gooseberries this year (already have lots of raspberries and blackberries).
moominmama: We all listened to the same "His Dark Materials Series" audiobook.  Wonderful, and a lifesaver on long car drives.  Not specifically for kids, but my 11 year old was really (fanatically, even) into the audiobooks for Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series.  We got them from the public library.  Sometimes audiobooks are a great alternative for those times when reading is a little tiring (even great readers have those moments) or for when you want that auditory...