or Connect

Posts by FarmerBeth

Knowing what's up is much less anxiety provoking than knowing somethings different and being scared of what it is.  My DS was pretty relieved with his diagnoses (ASD).  It helped for him to have something he could research with a name to latch on to.  Also, found out recently that he was scared for years that he might have MS because of low sensory sensitivity to pain and some other tactile stuff (doesn't know if shoes are on the wrong feet, etc).  I felt so bad for him...
Nobody here could know for sure what's up because we aren't there.  That being said, I don't think you should feel crazy or silly, you have really valid concerns about your daughter and her behaviors are similar to some ASD kids (my own definitely included).  Our son started out with an anxiety/tic disorder/OCD/NVLD mash-up diagnoses that persisted until this last year when he was re-evaluated.  He definitely has similar behaviors.  That being said, all kids are...
I took my 10 year old to the Hunger Games movie.  She had already read the books (as have I) and there was enough panning out of the camera with the direct violence that I wasn't too worried.  I think the ratings are OK for guidelines and I use them whenever someone else's child is involved - with my own I use personal discretion.  Both of my boys (one 11 and one 7) have more problems with viewing violent imagery than my daughter (I'm guessing simply because they are...
  My daughter was given some enriched work during class (replacing the kindergarten language arts rather than added to) and she didn't have to deal with extra work when she should have been playing, having time with friends and exercising.     Now is also a great time to teach her how to enrich her own work.  By this, I mean getting in the habit of finding her interesting books or activities to supplement things she likes in school, encouraging her to read on her own...
I think an evaluation is in order.  Any time there are difficulties with violence, it's safer to get some experts on board to help figure things out.  While waiting for the evaluation, I'd also get some parenting counseling and make sure the preschool is an OK fit.  I have one 2E son (and a "just gifted" daughter).  There were a lot of situations at around 4 years old that were more than he could handle on a sensory and social level.  He needed smaller groups and a...
  I'm going to think of this every the the rooster rushes at me with malevolent intent.
  Don't have much to say, just hugs.  I went through this with my oldest (who is on the spectrum).  I'm afraid to say I did the dressing while he kicked and screamed (there were two other children, I was working, I didn't have a lot of choices).  I think it's great you are trying to avoid an epic battle of wills.   Only suggestions I have: 1) Try to make sure the clothes are the most comfortable possible.  Remove tags, experiment with different textures and styles to...
Maybe I've got to try that!  I ended up writing a bunch out for her, but maybe that's where I should look for a less tedious method!
My DD (10) made it to the Regional Science Fair and will be representing her school at the end of this month.  She did a study on horse behavior and rider/horse communication.  I am really proud of how she's doing both in school right now and in her chosen sport (she's been going over those jumps like a pro this month).   DS(11) is jealous of his sister about science fair, but honestly, I thought he had a great project, too (he compared growing rates between...
This is where my husband and I were at, too.  We'd gone back and forth about what we had thought of an ASD diagnoses rather than what we had at the time (NVLD, OCD and tic disorder).  But watching the ADOS, it was very clear where the professionals were coming from.  The thing was, his responses to some of the questions, especially around feelings, were so similar to what I would have said either now or at his age, that I really had to come to grips with the concept that...