or Connect

Posts by mary934

Buy some story books for the grandparents to read. Explain that you want Bible stories to come only from you
One of the difficulties in parenting and especially parenting a challenging child is that we feel continiously being judged , if not by grandparents, relatives, even friends and strangers in the mall = when you kid is having a meltdown.    These negative thoughts and experiences really get to us-  I usually say to myself  - if he has a problem with my son , it is his problem and in truth ' they don't really care ' and after the count of 10 have forgotten about...
For me - GD  are working with approaches= proactive + collaborative problem solving , rather than doing to = reactive + rewards, punishments , consequences . Limit setting is collaborative and not the parent alone. Difficulties and challenges are more about lagging skills and unmet concerns rather than wanting to test limits.   My favourites  - the how of GD  are books by Ross Greene - the CPS collaborative problem solving approach  his site...
Hi, check my reply to the thread - book recommendations for 9 yo  CPS - collaborative problem solving appraoch by Ross Greene , Myrna Shure has a problem solving book for kids up to 7   http://tinyurl.com/dytwnyu - an eg of using CPS with a 3yo  Playful parenting L cohen    talking does not help , because we do the talking , the kid speaks , we direct with questions  lower the rope ,your expectations, and create an environment that is safe - you need to be...
Hi, You seem to be working in the right direction with your challenging child. I recommend the CPS - collaborative problem solving approach - Ross Greene - the latest edition of his books - the best Lost at school = great for parents in the home as well , the explosive child  - see vdeo clips of the cps process below     http://tinyurl.com/c7chvj7 2  Mindfulness for children -  Susan Kaiser Greenland -  the above blog has articles on this as well  -  this helps...
Before I try a family meeting , I would first do a one on one CPS - collaborative problem solving. The idea is to hear and listen -  we want to get your dd's concerns on the table , take it slow and listen without judgement so the kid feels understood . Next -put your concerns on the table , define the problem and brain storm solutions . Then see if you bring them together and you facilitate discussion.   The problem with family meetings is that they need structure....
Hi,   Joe Bower's blog is a must for both teachers and parents as he shares his progressive approach to academics and socio-moral learning ( discipline ) He has written several blogs sharing his collaborative problem solving experiences . His new post is great . Gentle discipline is all about going slow and being very patient      http://www.joebower.org/2012/07/working-with-children-when-they-are-at.html
I like using posters, schedules and list which we as a family together make to help us be more organized . It is the list telling us what to do , not me. This also helps the kid to identify with the value and the caring behind any activity as we are working together , their perspectives and concerns are important. Whining is a behavior , we want to solve the actual problem underlying the behavior . So out of the moment we can do some CPS - collaborative problem solving...
My favourite -  books by Ross Greene - the CPS - collaborative problem solving approach - ' the explosive child , lost at school . His web site http://livesinthebalance.org  has plenty of info. Although his book is mainly for challenging kids , all kids can benefit . I call his work - the how of GD   Myrna Shure's books also focusing on problem solving    Unconditional Parenting - Alfie Kohn , also about the why - I think it is important to believe in the approach 
Focus on a ' working with , giuded participation, collaborative problem , transcending basic living into a learning experience , consult her , let her feel part of the decision making process - her concerns and perspectives are important , talk in the plural we or our family , share your feelings, perspectives and then ask what does she think