or Connect

Posts by Ma Cactus

Just thought I'd share what worked for us in case anyone else needs ideas: I found by accident born of extreme paranoia after several bad bites around age 8 -10 mos that if I kept my forefinger on the cleft in his chin, as soon as he changed his mouth in a way that I knew he was going to bite I could put a slight pressure there on that chin cleft and that would prevent him from biting me. I figured I could physically stop him if necessary, but it was never necessary -...
We had a similar resistance around this age - I second (or third) the advice about offering in many different places.  We also let him pick out and handle some things in the bathroom cabinet during pottying at the sink that would usually be contraband (as long as they were not actually dangerous) like our deodorants, toothbrushes, nail clippers (closely watched), etc.  It backfired a bit the time he grabbed a bottle of red nailpolish and threw it in the tub, so best to...
Sounds great!  I think that is the way it always works - you try different things till something works.  We had a time when all our cloth diapers failed us at night (around 10 mos I think).  I found two things that worked: wool covers with fitted bamboo inners and 'lollidoo' dipes with double inserts.  Since they lasted all night long we only needed a few (they were fairly bulky so we never used them during the day).  I think I had two wool covers (since they only need...
Maybe try teaching him to go standing up?  It might help switch things up for him to regain some interest.  It also helps make it an easier and quicker process.  There are little boy urinals out there (http://www.amazon.com/WeeMan-Potty-Training-Urinal-Product/dp/B002RZ1Q54/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ba_2). We used this one at first (later my sister sent me one from Korea that has suction cups so it doesnt' need to be attached to the toilet which was a hygienic leap in the right...
Is there any way you can move across the country?  My parents got divorced when I was a baby, and my mother fell out with her in-laws and we had no contact with them, but she never did come up with a good explanation (FlyRabbitFly - feel free to chime in here if you remember differently).  I do remember that it was somewhat painful growing up knowing they were alive and being unclear on whether they didn't want anything to do with us or whether Mum didn't want us...
We have this problem too - he doesn't refuse exacltly, but he'll claim to still be pooping LONG after he is done to avoid the event.  For a while, it helped to put olive oil on the toilet paper.  That smoothed things over for a good 6 mos or so (he has never liked being wiped).  I'd love to see more suggestions though, since we are also out of ideas now.  The only thing that always works (but I can't always come up with) is that we can do XYZ fun thing as soon as he has...
KaeMaeBea - Maybe take advantage of the fact that she goes in her diaper when you are going?  Could you bring in two potties and a doll into the bathroom and make a potty game of it - put the doll on the potty and tell her you are getting on the potty and see if she'll get on too adn you can all go together?  Could be just a kick starter.    Andrea - I went to check out your friends site, and I LOVE IT. My kid did fine with EC, but we will start fostering soon and...
Congrats for going for it!  Really, the hardest parts are the having everyone think you're nuts (my DH changed his tune when DS pottied for him), and not losing your patience when you've been at it for months and the sight of pee on the floor AGAIN begins to be a drag.  I was lucky to have a twin sister starting 6 mos after me so at least we had a united front and were able to support each other.  This forum is great for that also.    My advice is to make sure you...
Lately I have been consumed with the idea of getting a dog.  I have not had one in years, but lately I have had a seriuos itch.  I think it would be nice to have one around again for company on walks and at home, and for a feeling of security when we come home.  My DS is 26 mos old and pretty sturdy.  He likes the dogs in the extended family which range from med to lg in size.  He does NOT like having his face licked, but they don't do that very often.   As we have been...
Hi Trumpetmom i keep an email that I sent my husband when we were arguing about circ after it had become too contentious to discuss it further so I sent him a bunch of informational links. We never did talk about it again but when the midwife asked if we had thought about it and I paused, he said 'we're not doing it' and that was that. I've sent them to two friends and they were well received though I still don't know the outcome. But my friends still talk to me so...