or Connect

Posts by tavamom

I have lived in CO since I was 3. I now have three kids, homeschool, live in Colorado Springs, I'm pretty crunchy, and my husband is an education manager for a local environmental non-profit. You can find large and small crunchy communities, with homeschoolers or various bents, all over the state. You want big city? Denver or Colorado Springs or Boulder are great. You want to be more in the mountains but near a big city? I'd pick Manitou Springs or Woodland Park, as...
Do you eat much meat now?  Getting enough good fats in the diet (not talking about trans fats from vegetable oils), especially when eating fruits or vegetables, is important for nutrient absorption.  I also suspect the amount of fruit he's eating, but you also mention frequent beans.  Do you soak your grains and legumes in water with whey/kefir/buttermilk/vinegar before cooking it and do you eat sprouted or sourdough breads?  If he's eating canned beans or beans that...
I would definitely NOT give a sugar drink to sick kids.  Sugars make your body work harder and take longer to heal.  I would give chicken broth with salt, especially homemade chicken stock with rice.  I'd give water, broth, some watered-down juice, some homemade ginger ale (not the sugary storebought stuff).
Beet kvass and lots of cilantro in their diets.  I'd also do kombucha.  All remove toxins from the body and the uncooked cilantro removes heavy metals.
What would you do for a 5 month old with croup and an ear infection?  We have a humidifier running and can take him into the cool air for a coughing attack.  We ended up in the ER last night because his breathing was so labored.  They gave us antibiotics and steroids, but I'm wary of using them.  The ear infection was so mild it had no other symptoms and surprised the doctor, so I feel like I wouldn't have even known about it if it hadn't been for the bad coughing...
Sounds like you've worked out what you feel comfortable with.  ^_^   I thought you said the hospital told you 5-7 minutes, which is why I was saying 5.  Sorry for misunderstanding.   Not having your water break is something that happens in fewer than 1 in 80,000 births.  You're more likely to have all sorts of strange and fairly rare complications, like the cord prolapsing and causing a major emergency, from getting your water broken by the nurse/doctor/midwife...
Caedenmomma - I think we'll try that.  It seems to be likely the reason he's waking up - he needs to pee.  We haven't really started structured potty training yet, but he will use the toilet when we take him and ask him to.  I have noticed that his diaper is already wet when he has these fits, but he needs to pee too.  It seems like he is waking up because he needs to pee.   Blackannis - I usually sing to him at bedtime, and singing to him at other wake-ups works,...
  I'm about to have baby # 3 and a 2 hour wait time doesn't sound bad to me at all.  I think 10 minutes sounds like the right time for pulling things together, however, you shouldn't try to find a "right time" beforehand.  You should trust your instincts and call your DH when you feel like he should come.  You can't really predict that, just like you can't predict when your contractions will start, if your water will break before contractions start, how long your labor...
I think it's been a month now that our DS2 has been waking in the wee hours and pitching a fit.  These aren't night terrors.  In fact, he wakes up slightly fussy, like a normal I-need-blankets or I-need-water waking.  He usually needs a diaper and probably needs to pee.  He won't let me change his diaper (if I do, he goes into full tantrum mode).  It's like he's irritated that he's awake, he doesn't want anything stimulating like a diaper change or a parent...
  I coslept with two LOs.  I haven't ready the No Cry Sleep Solution, but those guidelines were not followed by us.  No blankets or pillows seems outrageous to me.  We had guard rails for one LO and they were more dangerous than any other options and we abandoned them.  Baby slept on either side of me at night with DS1, which meant sometimes between mom and dad.  I tried keeping DS2 on the outside so DH and I could have more snuggle time and this was horrible.  It hurt...