or Connect

Posts by tavamom

This sounds completely normal to me.  Your body can adjust to it.  You may not be getting enough protein or other nutrients in your diet to keep you from being exhausted.  Are you getting enough iron?  Having an adequate diet can make a HUGE difference in how you feel when you're pregnant, nursing, having interrupted sleep, etc.  If you're feeling very tired during the day, perhaps attention to diet can help.   I haven't slept through the night in 4 years.  My DS1...
My son, who just turned 4, did this through most of the time he was 3 - suddenly waking (or talking in his sleep) because he is frustrated about a dream.  It wasn't all the time, mind you, but at least once a month.  I think it's really a sign that they're having more dreams about their frustrations in daily life and they don't know what to do about it.  What we did was teach our son that if he practiced it, he could control his dreams, that he could do whatever he...
  I'm glad my ideas are working for you!  Actually, I wasn't doing it only for weaning.  I did this with DS2 from when he was born, to keep him from spending all of his waking time on the breast like my DS1 wanted to do.  I had a hard time getting DS1 to sleep without me or be comforted without being nursed, and I had done the slow switch to 3-breaths-before-unlatch to break that habit, then to teach him to fall asleep without me lying next to him.  I continued nursing...
My DS1 was that age when he started resisting naps.  I took it as a sign that he was really moving away from them, not that I needed to enforce them.  And mind you, my son was taking 3-4 hour naps (he would literally sleep for 3 or 4 hours every day), so it was odd when he seemed to be stopping his naps.  I felt like he "needed" them if he was sleeping so long, but really he was ready to transition.  Yes, it meant grumpy kid falling asleep mid-evening for a week or so,...
I completely agree with Emerging Butterly's post.  Your DS is at a perfect age for a toddler bed by your side.  She will still get snuggles, comfort, nursing, etc. if she is in her own bed next to yours, and you will still comfort her at night.  Sleeping in her bed isn't really a good idea, as it's her bed and those beds aren't made for adults to lie in them.  You can't tell when she's ready to transition to her own bed unless you have her own bed for her.  She doesn't...
I would follow your instincts on the cause.  If he just recently recovered from an ear infection, it could be back.  He could also be teething, but if that was the case, it would seem more likely that he'd be upset in the day as well.  His ears could be hurting him more at night because he is reclined.  Since he's saying that he is in pain, that's likely the cause.  I'd treat him like he has an infection and help him sleep with his head a little higher as well, to see if...
I feel that when my babies were crying, they needed something.  If I nursed them and they calmed down, they were crying because they needed to nurse.  Comfort IS a need for a baby, and some of them are most comforted by nursing.  There's nothing wrong with that.  Also, babies go through many growth spurts in their first year and will need to nurse more often and longer at certain times.  I never tried to force my two boys to wait to nurse if they seemed fussy and they...
I really like Jessica Nipp (she's also a naturopath) and Pamela Crowl.  I decided to hire Pamela as my midwife for our upcoming birth.   That said, I haven't heard of any local midwives being anything but what you ask for.  It may be best to just interview many of them and pick the one you feel best with.
You're totally normal.  Everyone should change positions at night for their own health.  Try getting in the habit of switching sides throughout the night.  When she wakes to nurse, nurse her then roll her and you onto the other side (or roll first then nurse), so you both change positions.  I sleep in all sorts of variations of the protective-momma position...  the "C" you mention, an "L" where my arm is over the baby while I'm on my back but legs are straight, a...
If you're "totally dreading it," why are you doing it?  If you're wanting to night-wean anyway, regardless of the road trip in a few weeks, you could certainly start now.  However, with the trip so nearby, I think it would be easier to begin night-weaning AFTER the trips are over.  You may begin night-weaning, only to go back to old routines on the road trip, for everyone's comfort, and have to start over after things have settled down again.   We've found it easier...