or Connect

Posts by Kerynna

This could very well be the most significant environmental issue facing President Obama.  He promised to show leadership in reducing factors contributing to global warming - now is the time for him to keep that promise.  What a shame, then, that so many Americans are being arrested for simply asking him to keep his word.         For more info see tarsandsaction.org See also today's NY Times front page article on this...
What have they tried so far?  Does the child take cow's milk at all?  Perhaps they could start a routine where, anytime the boy wants to nurse, his mother offers him a glass of a favorite beverage instead (cow's milk, soy milk, yogurt drink, etc.)?  Of course, they should do this gradually, cutting out one nursing session per week or so.   I would also suggest that the parents simply talk with their son and remind them that school will be starting and that he needs...
The prevalence of perverts one comes across on the Internet (chat rooms, message boards, blogs, etc.) is higher than one experiences in daily life, IMO.  People will post things online that they would never say or do in person, so you have to take that into account as well.
I have no doubt that negative reactions as you describe *do* occur.  However, my perception is that those type of reactions are the exceptions, not the norm.  And, of course, it very likely differs depending on what community or region of the country - attitudes toward breastfeeding, like other cultural values, are exhibited differently depending on the regional culture and norms.  I live in southwest Virginia, which is a pretty conservative, old-South style culture, yet...
I think it IS considered normal and accepted by most in our society.  I've breastfed 3 children, in public, in a wrap while out walking at an outdoor festival, etc. and I've never had an adverse reaction from anyone. 
I've been nursing my baby before and someone comes up to us and looks at the baby and says, "oh, what a pretty baby!" and then suddenly realize that I'm actually nursing her.  I think a lot of times, people don't even know that we're breastfeeding.  I've never had anyone intentionally sit and watch me nurse in public.  At home, sure, my family watches and comments or whatever, but I don't think that's what you're asking about.     If I were nursing in public and...
I don't understand why you titled this thread "nipple phobia".  It's not about people being *afraid* of seeing nipples.  The thread is about whether one should cover up while nursing.  So, to answer that question, my feeling is no, we shouldn't have to cover our entire top half completely while nursing.  But for me, I'm most comfortable if I hold my shirt so that it covers most of my breast, but the part where my breast meets my belly is covered by baby.  If a glimpse of...
  I understand that was what he was saying, but I think you misunderstood what *I* was trying to say.  I didn't express it very well.  I was saying, while I agree with him that nipples should not be deemed indecent, I *do* think they should be deemed off-limits in some respects because of the fact that they are so intimate and unique to each individual woman.  So my point is that I feel nipples should not be on prominent display for the pleasure of everyone but should...
I agree, around 10 months, defiitely by a year.  I'd say, in general, as soon as they start having visible teeth is when the judgment starts.  Sometimes, though, I'm not sure it's truly about maliciously *judging* someone who is still breastfeeding when the baby is 12 months old.  I think in many cases people are truly puzzled by it.  I know that was the case with my mother and my family, when I continued to nurse beyond 10 months or so.  They honestly couldn't...
I feel that my nipples are a very personal part of me because they are unique.  Every woman's nipples are a unique size, shape, color, texture and therefore are part of the mystery that I believe we, as women, can (if we choose) celebrate and respect.  As for the rest of the breast, I see it as just a mound of tissue covered in the same skin as the rest of my body.  I don't feel that I should have to keep my entire breast covered while breastfeeding - if a bit of skin...