or Connect

Posts by olaz-b

My friend and I had a similar arrangement.  She had supply issues, and I had a lot of milk to spare.  My DS would nurse only on one side each session.  When he finished, I'd pump out any milk left in that breast and then pump out the whole untouched breast.  The next feeding session would be similar, but I'd always let DS decide if he ever wanted the second breast if the first wasn't enough.  This rarely happened, but I do think that after a week, my body started making...
Geese like to sleep at night, and as most birds, can't see too well either.  If something very disruptive happens at night, they will make noise, but they will not roam.  Most "new" things will set them off.  I don't think a cat would last long in a yard :)  And it would also depend on how isolated you are, if you have cars driving by all the time they would get used to it.  Usually, by around 6 months they start to become territorial and that is what makes them good...
Geese are fantastic guard animals, but they guard everything, and not in the nicest ways.  And you would need to have more than just one, but they are fairly easy to keep, especially if you like a well fertilized lawn.  When my sister and I got goslings as children, they completely imprinted on us and followed us everywhere.  However, when they matured, they became very territorial and would sound an alarm at anything new.  They would also chase us and bite our behinds...
To conclude: there is more than one way to make lard.
  Limette - I guess I was thinking that when we render lard, it's from a whole pig and it fills a large stock pot, as in about 5-8 gallons, and long and low heat have given us the best results, beautiful, clean white lard.  You are right, if there is just a small amount, a pound or two, on the stove top or crockpot, would be easiest.  I've adapted my procedure from Jennifer McLagan's book "Fat - An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient" where she recommends the...
  Limette, I might have to move to NS! I think the biggest problem here in Ontario are marketing boards, especially chicken. They make up the rules and try hard to catch people who don't follow. I know of teenage brothers who got in trouble for raising too many meat birds (300 max). All they were trying to do is make some money during the summer, rather than wasting time playing video games.   Chicky2, I do turn the oven off at night, or if our woodstove is on low...
We don't disbud our goat kids and in the many years of having goats, I have never had problems with the horned does, either them hurting us or themselves.  I actually prefer to have the horns, because I can use them as handles. I think most countries around the world do not disbud goat kids.     The bucks are a different story, I don't trust them, but I still keep their horns.  A couple of years ago, when I was 5 months pregnant, our buck snuck up on me from behind...
Chicky2, the idea of scalding and scraping, just seemed to be a pain as compared to just removing the hide, so we've always just skinned the pig.  I make sure that my knife is super sharp and the carcass still warm and hanging head down.  We hang it from our small "balcony", but a very strong tree branch would work well.  As long as the carcass is warm, I find that I can cut really close to the hide and leave most of the backfat on the carcass.  The last Tamworth pig we...
We started off with chickens, then moved onto goats, deer, and finally hogs.  Other than the poultry, once the gutting and skinning is done, everything underneath is pretty much the same, just the size is different.  Young goats are easy to handle by just one person and we manage to do two young goats in about 5 hours from start to finish, that includes everything cut up and in the freezer.   A whole hog is another story, it takes us 2 half days to get the job done,...
More on electric fencing vs page wire (4x4 goat fence).  We use both, but much prefer the electric, for both permanent and temporary areas.  We have found that when there isn't an electric strand along the page wire the goats rub or stand on it, causing it to bend and buckle, making it useless and somewhat dangerous.  For electric fencing, it can actually be the most inexpensive type of fencing.  We have fenced in about 10 acres for around $500 with electric fencing, and...