or Connect

Posts by MomtoDandJ

I'm just curious how many moms are doing some kind of "school prep" with their kids at home?  I'm sure most of us on here are reading with our kids at night and doing simple math stuff like counting, but I'm curious if anyone's doing a more structured "learning" or "teaching" method with their pre-school (meaning before school) kids.  I've been using some free worksheets from School Sparks with my 3yo that I think are great -- I love the math worksheets and sight word...
My ds is starting first grade!!! (Wow, time flies!  But that's another post... :)   I found a really good free resource to help kids ease into the idea of school and get excited for the first day.  Being excited replaced all the anxiety my ds had, which was a huge relief.  It's an activity pack by a website called www.schoolsparks.com - they normally post free preschool and kindergarten worksheets so this is definitely geared towards younger children.  Very colorful and...
Thanks -- that's helpful!  My DD has no idea she's being tested but I'm nervous about it! :)
Has anyone's child gone through the K-Bit testing or KTEA-2?  My daughter's school uses the test for admissions to a gifted program and I'm curious what it is.  I tried to find a few sample questions online to get a sense of the test (for me to mentally prepare for it and to explain to her what it is, not to do test prep with her!) but couldn't find anything.  Anyone have any experience with this test and can tell me what to expect?   Are there multiple sections or...
My moms,   My favorite website for free worksheets for kids just added a group of Fourth of July activities.  I printed a set for my 5yo ds  this morning and he's already about half done with them, so I wanted to share with the group.  (Look towards the bottom of the page where it says "holiday themes" and you'll find them!)   Hope everyone is having a great start to the summer.
A website that I use for free worksheets just added a set of Easter worksheets and Easter math worksheets.  They are free to download and print and I find they are generally good for preschool or kindergarten aged kids.  They also added a free counting board game (it's on the Easter worksheets page, in the upper right corner) if you want to download that too.  My 5yo ds LOVED it when we played it yesterday.  Just wanted to share my find! :)   Happy Easter!
Kids definitely need to be taught the correct pencil grip, so maybe it's just that your son has never been taught?  It's definitely awkward for little fingers to hold the pencil the right way until they get the hang of it.  My son is 4yo and I found tracing worksheets to be really helpful - tracing lines, curves, pictures, etc.  Look for worksheets that are really colorful and have pictures - my son hated the cheapo black and white worksheets but stuff with colors worked...
Yes, definitely try letting your child write in pudding on a cookie sheet or in shaving cream on the shower wall.  That will make it more fun, plus it won't show "mistakes" as much as pencil on a paper shows.  I like these tracing letters worksheets because they have lots of fun pictures on them that my 4yo really likes, so I think they hold his attention more than other worksheets.   Is it possible it's just a phase?  That she's not interested in writing right now?...
One of my favorite sites for free worksheets just posted some Christmas worksheets and Christmas math worksheets that I've been using with my son so I wanted to share the love and pass them along in case others were looking for educational Christmas worksheets.   I know a lot of moms on here have preschool and kindy aged kids, so I thought this would be worth sharing.  Enjoy!
  One of my most favorite websites for free worksheets and educational activity suggestions just added some Christmas worksheets and Christmas math worksheets to their free worksheets section.  The worksheets have really cute illustrations that my son loved.  I just wanted to share these in case other parents were looking for educational Christmas worksheets to try at home also.  Happy holidays! :)